I like to be in America! O.K. by me in America!

1. Sorry for the West Side Story fever I have here. LOL. First of all, I just want to say that I love all the TPFers here. I've received many great advices and encouragement from here in the past and up until now. I couldn't appreciate more. I'm writing this because I need your precious advice once again.

I'm about to finish my bachelor degree in fine art and currently not knowing what I'm going to do with my life after college. I have two options, one is to go to grad school and another one is to get a job. At the point, I've decided to find a job since I don't know whether grad school is right for me. So my questions are...

1. How important is grad school? Do you think you getting a master degree will increase a chance of getting a job?

2. How hard is it to get a job for someone who is not a U.S. citizen especially in fashion industry?

I feel like I'm far behind when I found out my friends already have job offers or get accepted to grad school. I really don't know what I'm going to do with my life. If I can't find a job, I have to go back to my home country due to my visa status. Going back home isn't so bad except I think I'd be happier working and living here in U.S.

I'm sorry for a long post. Thanks for reading my rant.

2. Hi and congratulations on almost completing your degree!
    1) Grad is school is very important. I think more employers are looking for people who have grad school experience in business, education, etc. It will not hurt you to have this invaluable (but costly) experience.

2) You need to network as much as possible with fashion industry people so they can vouch for you to get a work visa. They really need to say they need you for their position. Extend your job search to include museums and universities. I think the fashion industry is very competitive and it's who you know...

Good Luck!

3. as long as you have no personal obligations like small children, go to grad school and try to get part time work in your field at the same time. most professional career progressions will require a masters degree, so get it now. as for the fashion field i have no experience- sorry. good luck!

4. good luck either way....it's a hard decision to have to make.

5. Congrats on almost being done school. Two things I can offer you

1. For graduate school think long and hard about what you specifically want to do. A graduate degree isn't necessary for all fields, and it doesn't always mean a higher salary either (unfortunately I know this all too well! grr!). Decide what you want to do, and do the research to see if a degree will offer you more opportunities.

You'll especially want to think about this if you're paying for your Master's degree yourself. Will taking on thousands of dollars of more debt pay off in terms of salary and promotions?

2. Getting a job as a non U.S. citizen isn't hard. Most large companies have HR departments that are fully capable of helping you obtain a work visa.

6. congrats on almost finishing up school.....
    1. only go to grad school if you are sure you want to do it. in some fields, masters degree give you more job opportunities. you should research this for your field.

2. depending on what your field is, it can be hard or not for non US citizen to find jobs. I had some international friends from college and graduate school and according to them finding jobs can be challenging.
    its not about whether or not you are a US citizen, but more of whether or not you are "eligible to work in the US". it costs money to get work permit, and companies prefer not to do that unless the applicants are exceptional candidates.