I just talked a coworker out of buying a fake!!

madamefifi

cat hoarder
O.G.
Aug 23, 2006
Aren't you proud of me? I was showing off my new-to-me Damier Parioli (thanks to a fabulous tPFer!) and she asked me if it was real. I said "oh yes, I don't do fakes" and she asked if I knew where she could get a fake around here! I said, "Please, don't buy a fake! Take the money and buy something nice in your price range! Carrying fakes is so..." here I stopped, at a loss for words, then changed the subject, "Nine West has really cute bags, and so does Guess" Then another coworker chimed in about TJMaxx, and I mentioned the outlets in Williamsburg, and the upshot is--no fakes for my coworker! :yahoo: She got it, KWIM?

Good for you! I think you handled it very well. If that happens to me, I would suggest alternate mid-range brands and end with a note about the possible anti-humanitarian origins of fake bags.

That's great Madamfifi! Isn't it weird how much courage it requires, though? I've heard girls talking about "purse parties" and I always politely ask, "is it authentic merchandise?" and get the obligatory, "duh, no...they're good knock-offs, though," at which point I try to delicately explain that counterfeits are illegal, and ugly and support child labor, and....that's usually the point at which they change the subject. :s But if it steers someone off the path, then so be it!