I just did something stupid!

lmiller4

O.G.
Dec 15, 2006
Oh girls. I just did something stupid. I bid on an Hermes scarf of ebay, which is beautiful (no doubt) but when I read the description it said it had a makeup stain on it that would come out with a dry clean. I just bid and now of course Im having buyers remorse. I know its my duty to pay, and I will if I dont get outbid (cross your fingers that I will!) but I just really wish I didnt do it. Will you take a look and tell me what you think? Do you think I could repost it and sell it again?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4592&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

or item# 320184694592

what do i do?!

Why don't you post in the Hermes section and ask if the stains can be removed by a dry cleaner. I personally think that a dry cleaner should be able to get the stains out. The print is very nice :tup:

The scarf is really nice..I wouldn't be surprised if someone outbid you actually!
A good dry cleaner should be able to get it out if it is makeup..so I hope no one outbids you. This is a wonderful scarf..you should keep it if you buy it!

I don't know about Hermes scarves, specifically, but I have always found that you can gently handwash most handrolled silk scarves in cold water with Woolite, or the equivalent, perfectly well and then iron them on a cool setting, under a clean tea towel (thin cotton towel [with no pile] for drying dishes).

If you win it for a lowish price, perhaps it would be worth risking it? As I don't think it would be a big risk, at all.

I think they generally say 'Handwash only.' to cover themselves, just in case! :smile:

lmiller4, I am glad it worked out and that you feel relieved.
I just wanted to mention one thing: Brides de Gala is one of the most classic Hermes scarf designs and very widely faked, so be careful when bidding on this design! You should always make sure to ask for a photo of the caretag on the scarf as well as a clear photo of the Hermes signature and artist's signature on an Hermes scarf.

...but I have always found that you can gently handwash most handrolled silk scarves in cold water with Woolite, or the equivalent, perfectly well and then iron them on a cool setting, under a clean tea towel (thin cotton towel [with no pile] for drying dishes).
I think they generally say 'Handwash only.' to cover themselves, just in case! :smile:

:yes:That's what I ALWAYS do with silk! (And wool and leather too!) I never dry-clean, it's a phobia - I like things 'washed'.

Cynthia, please could you take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150187756318&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005 ? Thanks! :heart: I won it today, no Hermes was mentioned in the listing - it's a popular design too, might be a fake as well...? But I love the design, be it fake or real! (well, as long as it's silk)

:yes:That's what I ALWAYS do with silk! (And wool and leather too!) I never dry-clean, it's a phobia - I like things 'washed'.

Yes, same here. :yes: Although, I've never tried it with leather.

I don't trust dry cleaning, at all! :nogood:

I've had garments come back from the drycleaners with marks still on them, as if they've just been pressed and other items have come back faded and pilled where they've attempted to remove marks (usually with limited success).

I've never understood why, if a fabric can't take a very gentle wash in cold water with a very mild detergent, it would fair any better with harsh solvents rubbed vigorously into it?! :shrugs:

Cynthia, please could you take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150187756318&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005 ? Thanks! :heart: I won it today, no Hermes was mentioned in the listing - it's a popular design too, might be a fake as well...? But I love the design, be it fake or real! (well, as long as it's silk)

Hi there, I took a quick look but am no true expert on H scarves--especially on auctions with only one pic! You might want to post this into the Hermes subforum as there are several ladies there with truly encyclopedic knowledge of all things scarf-related! (Just don't say in there that you don't care if it's a fake, LOL).