I have missed this place!

1. The past few weeks have been really rough for me. My grandfather had a heart attack and had to have emergency open heart surgery. I have spent the past several weeks in Georgia with my family. He is doing a bit better now, but he is still in the hospital. He is in renal failure and has been on dialysis since earlier this year. I would appreciate any thoughts and prayers for him.

On top of this, my son is slacking off in school. He is in all honors classes and normally a very good student. He has started not doing his homework and lying to me. (He is 15) If anyone has advice about teenage boys, I would love to hear it!
  2. Missy - Hugs! I hope that your grandfather starts to do better, hopefully he isn't in a lot of pain. At least you are being able to spend lots of time with him.

As for your son, perhaps he doesn't know how to handle the emotions surrounding your grandfather's illness? After my grandpa had a stroke, my sister would have anxiety attacks because of my grandma living with us. Maybe talking to a grief counselor at school could help, or even just a heart to heart with him about some of the things he is feeling could help. Best of luck to you, I'm thinking of you!
  3. Missy, I'm sorry you are having a rough patch. My prayers go out to you and your grandfather. Hope he is doing better soon. :flowers:

As for teenage boys, I have no children, but all I can do is give you a (((HUG))). I'm sure he is just having a rough patch too. My teenage years were not that long ago, and I can remember going through rough times, just because of the age.
  4. Hugs to you, MissyO. I will keep your grandfather in my prayers.
    As for your son, I don't have much advice, except maybe he feels depressed and is letting go of his emotions in this way because of his great-grandfather is sick. It wasn't too long ago when I was a teenager, and maybe he is just in a phase that will pass soon? Are any of his friends encouraging him to do those things? Just keep telling your son how important it is to keep up his grades especially through high school. Good luck!
  5. Thoughts and prayers for your grandfather are going out to you now.
    As for your son, that's not quite so easy. It's been nearly six decades since I was a 15 year old boy and the world has changed a good bit since then. I can tell you, though, that at exactly that age I suddenly dropped the Good Student role and got pretty sullen and defiant. To this day I'm not sure why, but I well remember thinking that all I was doing was trying to live up to someone else's expectations.
    I hope that information can be a bit of help in trying to reach him!
  6. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. My grandfather is still in the hospital. As for my son, he promises to do better. Time will tell! :s