I got laid-off today ...

Oh no Kou, I'm so sorry :sad: I'd read your previous posts about how things were going poorly anyway, so maybe this can be a good thing, a way to be free to find a job that you'll enjoy much more than the ones you have had in the past :yes: I wish you the best of luck though! I know you'll find something much better!! ^_^

Sorry to hear this...have you looked into the health care field? HMO'S are always hiring financial analysts. Try the big ones like United Health Care and Blue Cross Blue Shield and such.

I'm so sorry this happened. *hugs*

But, you know, you may still be able to get into an MBA program on an assistantship or work study! Now is the time prospective students are checking out colleges!

Don't take it personally as the decision by management was a "business decision". One door closes and another opens. All the best in your quest to secure a position you are enthusiastic about. Good luck!!!!

I'm so sorry. I know the unknown can be scary but this would be a good time to investigate what your true love is? Perhaps get into another field entirely? I find things always happen for a reason and perhaps this will lead you down a more exciting path of self-discovery.

i am so sorry that you have to go through all of this.

if you want to go back to school you should. you can actually find a MBA program, although competitive, will pay for your tuition, books, supplies, and give you a stipend. Many are strictly night classes so you essentially work full time and still be able to get your MBA. You could find a job any where that is not in your field that will hire you full time just to get a paycheck and pay the bills.

Also, I think you really should ask for a letter of rec from your old boss.

I am sorry to hear you got laid off - I understand that you are stressed out now with all the financial responsibility. What about your SO? Is he earning enough so you can manage for a while?

Besides, I reckon getting an additional degree while you are going for another job is your best option in the long run. Forget headhunters - they headhunt, so they will pick, they are not an agent. Either register with a high class employment agency in your field and start taking whatever jobs they offer (it will always be below your ability/income rate in the beginning) but I know a lot of people that came into permanent jobs that way.

Don't be mollified into security - I say get the best level of education you can get at this stage to help you in future.

good luck

I just found out about an hour ago. As soon as I found out, I had to pack up and leave. Essentially, things aren't going well in my industry, all of our competitors are either going out of business or waiting to be bought. My own company isn't doing that great either (I won't elaborate). Therefore, several positions had to be eliminated and mine was one of them. I spoke with my boss before I left and he told me that he suspected that he would be next.

Well ... the above paragraph sounded a bit blah and flat because I think I'm still in shock. It's a bad shock though. This is my second time being laid off. The first time it happened was back in 2001 and I was working as an industry research analyst (and tech writer) at the time. Since the first laid off, I have gone through two industries and several very awful jobs before I landed this one.

Here's the thing ... in spite of the issues I have with my most recent work, it's a bit pathetic for me to admit that it was still the BEST job I've ever had (yeah, just comes to show how crappy my previous jobs had been). And even though there were times when I felt absolutely annoyed and put off emotionally as well as physically because of the work situation, at the end of the day it was STILL a paycheck. I mean, money is good, I can always use more money.

And now ... I'm absolutely unemployed *sigh*. Yes, they gave me a severence package but it was VERY short. I was a financial analyst, so that left me with several options: going back to mortgage (which is a bad idea right now since the market is sh!t), be a financial analyst at a different industry (which is ideal except I don't have CFA or MBA), or go into consulting (but it's probably the toughest field to get into) ... Bottom line is, this laying off is happening at a very bad time for me.

What a grand way to start the weekend ...

I'm sorry this happened. I was a financial analyst before my current position at my company and I was looking around for a short period of time until I decided to stay w/ my company. There are many opportunities out there for Finance/Accounting field and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a job. There are many companies that don't require you to have a certifications and you could still make good money doing what you do. Another option is being an accountant or an actuary if you like working w/ numbers? I hope you find a better job you would end up loving just as much as your past one and good luck. You'll be ok.:yes:

I am sorry this happened to you. The company I work for has currently outsourced our entire IT dept, but has only kept a few of us for the 'transition'. They say that our positions will not be eliminated, but we have had layoffs each year impacting the other business areas. When I was hired a few yrs ago (2001) we had over1100 people in the home office- as of Thursday, we are down to 168.

Make sure that your resume is up to date and post it out on monster. Even though you thought this was a great job- there will be a better one out there for you.

Kou, I am so sorry to hear this :s
Try and take this opportunity to rebound and find something better, like in "who moved my cheese"...
Secondly, PLEASE don't put yourself down. You wrote "I'm useless", "things can only get worse"... Please do not think that. I know things look bad, but have some confidence that you are able to turn this around. :flowers:

Hey! Hold your head high!! It wasn't like your performance was the problem; it was that of the companies. Which means you will be fine! DON'T GIVE UP. I wish you the absolute BEST OF LUCK!