I can't seem to relax...does anyone else have the same problem?

1. I noticed especially today that I can't just sit down and relax. I always feel like I need to be doing some little thing. For example, after running errands today, I sat down to have a snack and watch a little bit of TV. But after a few minutes, I felt antsy and I started a load of laundry, made a fixed a brooch that was broken, made a batch of iced tea, and filed away my old cooking magazines and indexed recipes I want to try. I don't have kids or an SO so I can spend all my free time on myself. But I can't seem to just sit down and chill out because there's a list of a billion little tasks and if I'm not working on something I feel unproductive and lazy. It's like I need to be on vacation away from home to be able to truly relax. It's kind of driving me nuts! I don't feel like this at work, but with my personal stuff, I have a to-do list that's miles long.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. Yes. I do this all the time. Husband calls me a spaz. I have always been anxious. It is not all that fun, but I am damn productive.

3. I am like that too..It s called being anal!LOL!...
    However at the end of every summer I make myself go to the beach for 2 weeks straight and do ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING! Its the best thing ever..The beach is the only thing that relaxes me!I get a tan..eat out...realax with my daaughter...a vacation works for me!

4. Have you ever tried meditating??? I find it very relaxing & fulfilling. At first, I only did it for 5mins., it seemed like an eternity. Now I can meditate for much longer, it's so relaxing. Good luck to you, you need to relax!!!!! Or take a vacation!!!

5. I too have a miles long to-do list and was always obsessing about what to do and things that still needed to be done and were behind schedule, etc. when I bought my townhouse all this went into overdrive because I got a great deal on the place but it was still stuck in the late 70s in places, yikes!

For me, exercise helps me de-stress and put things in perspective. I take time out for ME and my good health, then I can focus on my never ending list!

6. It's called "general anxiety disorder". Many people suffer from this and you can take medication to help it. Medication will help especially if you've tried everything else and you still can't seem to relax (I'm a medical student, so I'm just giving you some info/background).
    When I'm anxious, shopping usually helps! But we all know that, and that's why we're here...:yes:

7. That was me, before I started taking Lexapro. Now I am energetic and productive but still able to wind down and relax. I got so tired of hearing people tell me to "calm down." Lex has been wonderful for me, but if you can find relaxation without meds, I'd recommend it.

8. I'm generally the same way. I can't just sit and watch a movie or TV. That's why making jewelry (or crocheting or knitting or whatever) helps me 'relax' ... I'm able to do something to keep busy and watch tv at the same time.

Anxiety and Depression run in my family so keeping busy is super important for me. Unfortunately, sometimes I stay a little TOO busy and my body runs out of steam and says "that's it...you're going to relax or else!" and I get sick. :sad: But that hasn't happened in awhile. Yeah!

And in fact I get MORE anxious when I don't have something to do. Enjoy it! You're productive right? Doing chores and things. Watching TV is so unproductive but if you're doing something else at the same time it's a total bonus. :smile:

9. Wine and a day at the beach works for me!!:yes:

10. Yup! I have lists related to work/school, home and my eBay sales. It's neverending! I just tried to watch TV with hubby and decided 'nope, gotta get some stats stuff done before meeting on Wed."
    I am constantly in motion...even when sitting down I am kicking ym legs, twirling my hair...something!

11. Maybe you should try a massage? I'm not good at just chilling constantly, but I tried a massage and it was really good for me. I just focused on getting my muscles loosened up.

12. I am totally like that. I'm always talking about how I need a massage but end up never getting one because I always push it aside to do other things.. Ahh! I need a massage..