I am so unmotivated

Jun 7, 2007
I don't know what it is but the past 2 semesters I have been extremely unmotivated in school. This semester is the worst. I already failed one class, and I'm not doing to great so far. I can't get myself to go to class ontime, if at all, study for tests, or do assignments ontime. I am scared I'm going to flunk out but I just can't get myself to care. Do you guys have any tips on motivation? It's not a time issue, or an issue with distractions. It's just that I don't care anymore...
I'm not a senior, im a sophmore in college, so it's not really senioritis.

Hmm. Do you think it's something bigger than just school? It *might* be a sign of depression, since one of the symptoms is losing interest in things that would usually be of importance to you. Just a thought.

Maybe you should go see a school counselor to talk about your options, get extra help from a tutor, or maybe even take your next semester off to give you time to cool off and get back in the swing of things.

Good luck!

Maybe you're burnt? Maybe the classes don't challenge you enough? I'm actually going through the same thing, I was a straight A student but I don't care about anything anymore..I don't have a solution though, still trying to get through it myself. :sad:

Hmm. Do you think it's something bigger than just school? It *might* be a sign of depression, since one of the symptoms is losing interest in things that would usually be of importance to you. Just a thought.

Maybe you should go see a school counselor to talk about your options, get extra help from a tutor, or maybe even take your next semester off to give you time to cool off and get back in the swing of things.

Good luck!

I agree. Maybe you should just take a step back and re-evaluate what you want from your college career. I just graduated last May and I had really bad senioritis. But I had to take a few deep breaths and look at my long term goal. I realized that I didn't want to mess up my last semester and I pulled through. You can do it and do not feel ashamed to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Sometimes that really really helps and I strongly recommend it if that is what you think you need.

You will get through this and no matter what we are here for you!!

Good Luck! (keep us posted!)

Maybe you need a little break from school? I know when I went there were times when I was just a little sick of going to school every day. I went to college right after high school and at first it was great because it was different but as I continued through the years, I was starting to get a little burnt out from going to class, studying, term papers, etc. that I took a yr. off and worked part-time for a while and it was the best thing that I've ever done. It put my mind in perspective and I was actually looking forward to going back so I did and I graduated. Sometimes you just need a little break. :smile:

Wow I didn't know there were other people going through this!! I wish I could give you really good advice but I don't really know where I stand on the issue myself. Although I am not failing, I'm just not into it anymore, just like you.

I think it's important that you find something that you look forward to outside of school, because I find it helps my motivation when I find it hard to go through the week... for me, it's tennis class on Wednesdays :smile: Also, I don't know if you work out a lot but I think workouts give me more energy and help me stay focused, or at least it helps a bit.

Also, I really think you should go see a school guidance counselor or even a psychologist, because there might be bigger issues at end, hiding in your subconscious. There's always a reason when your motivation seems to be gone, and there's a way to restore the flame but you just need to find out what's happening :sweatdrop: Also, try talking about it to your friends. Ask them if they know why you could possibly be feeling this way, as your friends probably know you very well :flowers: If all else fails, try to go through this semester and take a semester, or a year off. Many many friends from my year are taking the winter semester off to travel (and by many, I mean almost 10 of them out of under 40 of us!!!!) and figure out what they really want to do, so maybe that kind of introspection could be good for you :yes: