i am just so sick of it - mini rant

see the thing is she seems pretty nice and it's not like i got charged 20 for something that cost 6 but it's the whole idea that it happens over and over. usually i say something and i have had people refund shipping but i just want it to stop period, you know?

Hi, I wanted to add some of my experiences with shipping - one time I was so incensed about shipping that I left a negative for an item knowing that I would receive a negative, but I didn't care. I bid an opening bid of $9.99 for a little girl's backpack. I won the item. Retail on the item was around $35.00. I didn't even look at the shipping cost because I just assumed that it would be around $7.00 to $8.00. No one else bid, and I won the item. Well, shipping was $12.00 - o.k., so that was my fault, and I didn't check the shipping. I was thinking, that's o.k., because it's cute, etc. When I rec'd it, it was sent first class, and the total amount for shipping was around $2.75. (Not sent priority mail, no insurance, nothing) It was sent in a yellow manila envelope that looked like it had seen it's better days. The little fabric backpack was not in a ziploc baggy or any kind of protective covering - it was just shoved inside, and it barely fit. I e-mailed the seller, and I complained about the shipping charge and the way that she had packed it. She told me that her shipping charges were clearly stated in her auction, and she did not have to pack according to my specificiations. So, I left her a negative. She left me a negative. And you know what, I'm o.k. with that. I am not going to NOT leave negatives because I'm afraid that I'm going to receive a negative. I feel that I have a duty to warn other Ebayers about the shoddy methods of shipping and the overcharges. I noticed that after that, she lowered her shipping cost. I also reported her to Ebay for excessive shipping costs. I don't know if they did anything or not. Whenever I see people with lots of feedback and 100% positives, I know that can not represent the true experiences that they have had on Ebay. So, that is one of my experiences with outrageous shipping charges. :yes:

When I see high shipping charges it discourages me from bidding on the item, particularly when the item is clothing, for example, and doesn't require a lot of extra packaging. Sometimes I have had luck in contacting the seller ahead of time to ask for other, less expensive shipping options.

Bags are tricky because one expects that they will be packaged well, and this extra effort is reflected in the shipping fee. In the case of the OP, it sounds like the seller just inflated his shipping charges but didn't put any extra effort into packaging carefully. I think I'd mention my disappointment to the seller.

I would not leave someone a negative because I thought the shipping charges were too high, if the charges were disclosed up front. However, I would definitely complain about poor packaging, and possibly leave a neutral if I were not satisfied with the seller's response.

Sorry this happened. It kind of takes the fun out of receiving a bag when it is not packaged well. :sad:

that's the thing. i do check the charges when i buy something. but i always think if they're reasonably high (like i expect something high priced lv to be between 10 and 25) that they're going to be packed well. with some sort of care. i have gotten things that were wrapped BAUTIFULLY and that i would pay extra for. as i said i think it's about respect for the item, the buyer and your business. if you're a big seller you want your things to look nice, no? i mean i know there are people who don't care. if i was buying a 5 dollar item i might not either. but the higher the item and the higher the shipping i think some thought and care should go in to the shipping.

thinking back this was probably packed better than some- i mean the poor thing could have been just thrown in the tyvek. but if you saw it- even with the bubble wrap it was practically the same thing. i will prob email the seller and see what she says. i don't know.

It kind of takes the fun out of receiving a bag when it is not packaged well.

ITA!!!

Oh and i WON'T buy something where it's obviously a higely inflated charge. i sell and i know it doesn't cost 10 bucks to ship a light top thats selling for like 2 dollars. usually i will email the seller before i buy/bid and ask if they can lower the shipping. the thing that also gets me is when they say "standard shipping", charge priority rates and ship it first class. my shipping might be high to some- min of 5 dollars, but i always ship priority which is 4.05 plus dc. i never ship anything fc. when people do that it drives me nuts.

I understand what you mean- A while back I purchased a burberry jacket that was just shoved in a regular size manila envelope- no wrapping at all mailed first class :sad: it arrived dirty- so I had to have it dry cleaned- I let the seller know but never heard anything back- I was chicken and just never left feedback. I ship everything priority- in a box- wrapped in tissue paper- then bubble wrap- with a packing slip/note. It is nicer to "unwrap" an item- I know it's not necessary but it is a bit more fun !

I'm going to give the point of view of a seller. Let's just say as an example, that the seller uses their own boxes, not ones that are provided by the PO and their own package materials? Did all that just fall out of the sky for free? That cost does not show up on the shipping cost from the PO. Now if I have to use shipping supplies from the PO that aren't free, like the ones you have to buy because they don't have the right size, the minumum I have seen an average sized box is say $3.00. Plus they sell bubble wrap, which is about $4.00 for the smallest roll. Then tape, which is about $3.00. I also have to drive about 10 miles, round trip to the post office, so it is not in walking distance of me.

Usually, I put a flat rate shipping with sig confirm and insurance and sometimes I have to take money out of my pocket to cover the shipping costs. I don't email the buyer and say "Hey can you send me the extra costs to cover because I underestimated". That would be tacky.

Also, I have bought things from stores where I thought the shipping was ridiculous, say from NM and I bought a Chanel nail polish and the shipping was $8!

I know some buyers also get upset if you don't send a thank you note with the item. I know this because the one time I didn't send a thank you note, the person got upset. It is a transaction, not a baby shower. I don't think things should be gift wrapped unless it is in the auction specifics. I do think things should be wrapped so that the item does not get damaged.

At this point with ebay, I am just happy when I bid on things and they are as described and authentic.

i am a seller too. i sell quite a bit. and i even said i know what it costs to ship things- which is why i know it didn't cost her that much to get it to me. by the way- walking to and from the po is often more time consuming that driving there. many times i think people who drive can swing by on their way to something else. my po is not on my way to work, it can be very cold esp now and i go almost every day.

and i don't NEED a note but you know a packing slip is not about "baby shower" notes- it's about what happens if it falls out of the bag/box or something happens to the front? it's extra insurance that the buyer might get their item. every regular online store includes a packing note as well.

i have lost plenty of money on shipping and it stinks. but it's the cost of doing buisness.

oh and by the way you should go to costco or the dollar store for tape if you're spending that much buying it at the po. that's pretty high. i understand when small sellers who have no idea what they're doing ship things- i know i spent more as a new seller. but seasoned sellers should know better- esp if this is a big buisness for them and not a hobby.

and i really don't think that the cost of tape or bubble wrap for one package is so much that it should be passed on in it's entirety to a buyer. there was not a whole roll of bubble wrap in my package and not one piece of tape and even if there was should i eat the 3 dollar whole rol of tape cost for 1" of it?

I sell also and was always told when I was starting out to overcharge on the shipping. That helps cover fees, etc. I figure the buyer sees how much they are being charged shipping and if not interested they won't bid. When I am looking for something to buy thats the first thing I look for. Also, I never usually make what I feel I should so the buyer usually gets a great deal. I agree that items s/b wrapped sufficently but I also agree with spendingmore. I've purchased tape at cheaper places and its always horrible, ripping etc. I always get mine at P.O.

for YOUR information, i actually wasn't calling you a new seller. i knew what you were saying.

and no, i don't buy my tape at the dollar store or the po. both places have horrible quality tape imo. i buy mine at costco and it's great. i don't know why you're giving me an attitude when i didnt need a lecture on how much it costs to ship in the first place.

lore- overcharging for shipping and including your fees in that is actually fee avoidance and not allowed for ebay. i don't know who would tell you to do that since most buyers will stay away from sellers who try and make up for those things in their shipping. if you feel you're not getting enough for your items you should price them higher and make sure you cover your fees in your listing prices. my theory is that the things we sell are worth as much as we think they are. price them high, they will sell high, price them low and they will sell low, kwim?

yes but i already said i was a seller and know how much it costs so you telling me from a seller's perspective was unneccessary. read my other posts.

im at work, so i have to keep this short and sweet. i am 100% with you hlfinn. seriously!
i charge between 4.05 and 12.50 for shipping. all, if not more when you add gas and time into it, goes to the actual shipping! and i would not dream of shipping lv in improper packaging! if its a small item (a pen, pencil, coach hang tag,etc..) it still goes into tissue paper and into a bubbles wrapped packeage! adn its always sent priority mail, so you would get the item fast.

if the money is just padding, i find that to be a bit of cheating.
so, i am with you, adn i feel your rant!

I thought that shipping extortion only happened with international buyers .... me being in canada, i always find that i may as well be in Zulu Nation with some sellers who quote "$35" for items like cotton dresses....drives me BANANAS....esp when you see the teensy cardboard box and it says $4.75!!!

although, i must say that when a seller charges me fair shipping fees, it just really makes my day!