I am going to San Francisco... Need tips

1. Hi guys,

I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow and this is the first time that I fly above the Atlantic Ocean and i am so excited :yahoo:

My sister lives in Albany since 5 month and I think she knows a lot of San Francisco.

What do I HAVE to see or do?
  2. Well...really touristy things:

-Pier 39 & Fisherman's Wharf are a MUST! On Pier 39 follow the signs to see the Sea Lions...they're kind of fat & ugly, but still cute LOL If you like seafood and don't mind the price Alioto's on Fisherman's Wharf is good!

- While on the Wharf you can catch a ferry to Alcatraz! You can also take a ferry tour of the Bay! Very fun...

- There is Lombard Avenue...the crookedest street in the world. You need to drive down that though!

- Golden gate Park is beautiful

- You MUST walk across th Golden Gate bridge. When you get the other side there is a fabulous vista point for taking pictures! Try to do this before or after the fog rolls in!

- Haight & Ashbury....not much to do but interesting to say you've been to the center of the Hippie world!

I love the city!!! Best city in the world! And I miss it soooooo much!

Oh...to shop....you want to go to Union Square!
  3. Oh...while near Fisherman's Wharf ask someone to point you towards 'In N Out Burger' THE absolute BEST burger on the face of the planet!!! You won't regret the short walk or the long line up! Again...I would literally pay about $100 for this burger to have it right now! I miss it so much!
  4. I've lived in San Francisco for 11 years now. Twiggers just about hit everything you need/want to see. I also suggest Alcatraz -- make sure you take a tour of the prison. Also, if you're into art, go to the Museum of Modern Art or the Asian Art Museum in Golden Gate Park.

From a practical standpoint, unless you're going out of the city, you will not need to rent a car. Garages are extraordinarily expensive and unnecessary. You can take buses, cabs, cable cars, or trains.

Also, the weather here has not been too fabulous this week. You will want to bring long pants, a sweater and a light jacket. It has only been in the 60s (fahrenheit) and gets very cold and windy around 6pm when the fog starts to roll in.
  5. From Union Square you can take a Cable Car to Fisherman's Wharf. I did this recently with a friend and it was so much fun. We stopped for Irish coffees at the Buena Vista.
    Have fun!!!
  6. Fishermans Warf - Remember to visit Alcatraz Though (Best Planned)
    Golden Gate Park
    Pier 39
    Union Square - The best shops.
    Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory - Not the most exciting, but greeeeat chocolate.
    The best thing to do, if you will be travelling by Cable Car, buy a week/day pass.
    Remember when you are sightseeing, wear a good sweater. It usually is cold,
    especially at Fishermans Warf.
  7. When my friends from out of town visit, my fiance & I take them to Coit Tower, Palace of Fine Arts, Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard St, "Ghetto" Lombard St by our house in Potreto Hill, Twin Peaks, Seacliff area (Robin Williams house), Golden Gate Park, St Francis Woods and we always go to eat at Espetus Churrascaria. It's an all you can eat Brazilian Steakhouse located at 1686 Market St. It's so good!
  8. Great,
    thank u all girls. I think I have to print this page :smile:
  9. Welcome to SF!! I live just on the other side of the Golden Gate in Marin County. I must admit, though, that no locals ever go to Fisherman's Wharf. In fact, we stay as far away from it as possible. It is all tourists, and there are a lot of tourist trap-type places. (Sorry, not trying to be so negative! :p). I would say it is the SF equivalent of NYC's Times Square. Regardless, it is very popular, and if this will be your first time in SF, please go. It just isn't representative of the SF vibe.

Also, on the exit on 101 north of, and closest to, the Golden Gate, is a beautiful short drive through the Marin Headlands. There are beautiful views of the bridge, mountains, and sea. It is a little secret that not many tourists know about, so I really encourage you to check it out. Just breathtaking. :tup:

Have a safe trip and enjoy!!
  10. awww have fun! i miss san fran [ lived up there for a year when i was going to school! ] .. i think everyone hit on the perfect places to go!

have a blast! & be safe! =)
  11. Cablecar ride is a must!

Broadway for nightlife on Friday and Saturday. IMAX Theatre at downtown? Watching movie with 3,800 ppl?
    Castro street sightseeing?

How about Chinatown? Good food at R&G Lounge:

Also, try the upscale foodcourt under Westfield San Francisco Centre. The cream puffs are delicious.

Sausalito (just across Golden Gate Bridge) used to be a small fishing village, but it's a tourist spot today. How about wine-tasting up in Napa Valley?
  12. ^Aww, I miss the R&G Lounge!

Reading this thread makes me miss San Francisco! To think.. I was there this time last year packing to come back to LA.
  13. There are also great smaller restaurants down at the Embarcadero, Ferry Building area....Slanted Door restaurant and the Wine Bar in the ferry building are great, they have a fantastic caviar bar there too.....Butterfly Restaurant
    on the Embarcadero is also great, terrific water view, low key. It has definitely been cold this week at night! Burr, bring a sweater and some pieces to layer. :smile: Have a great, safe trip!
  14. If you love museums, get up early. One ticket will get you into all of them for that day I think. Palace of Fine Arts, SF Museum of Modern Art, Asian Art Museum, etc.

Chinatown? It's a little dirty, but the shops are fun and the random foods are great! You could probably do a combo with Union Square as they're right next to each other.

Also, if you go to the Fairmont Hotel in Nob Hill, they have one of those glass elevators that give you breath taking views of the City.

Have fun!
  15. Omg, exact same here!!

Everyone pretty much nailed the perfect places to see. Even though it's August, I do recommend bringing warm clothing; it's surprisingly freezing there in the summer!! The shopping in Union Square is fabulous & all the restaurants are good. Hope you you have a great time!! I miss that place so much :smile: