Hyperemesis Gravidarum

1. Hi ladies,

Phew. I've been away for the last 2 months suffering for my first pregnancy with a rare severe morning sickness condition known as hyperemesis gravidarum. It was a harrowing time for me. I could not eat or drink and was hospitalised for dehydration and malnutritional complications. Couldn't walk 5 steps without fainting. Basically just lying in bed all day long throwing up if I'm not asleep. Anyone else here has gone through this before?

Anyway, it's been terrible, but I'm up on my feet again. Finally able to look through tPF!
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better, that had to be awful. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is easier. I've heard of that condition before, but didn't experience it. Glad you're back. :o)
  3. OMG, Tammy-dear, congrats on your pregnancy but i'm sorry that you're experiencing this. i had this with my first pregnancy all during the 1st and 2nd trimesters-i couldn't hold anything down so i didn't gain any weight during that time. i threw up whatever i took in, at least 5 times a day; i couldn't go anywhere and scents (even at home) very easily made me sick: home cooking, dirty/clean laundry, perfume, smoking(that was one of the worst), shampoo and other hair products, etc, basically anything strong. going to the doctor's for the frequent visits was awful for me too-forget the train and bus rides, i couldn't go 1 block w/out feeling vomit come up and having to sit down to avoid fainting spells. my doctor wanted to hook me up with an ivy at home and a nurse but i declined. i just laid down most of the time, sleeping too, because i felt the least sick and dizzy when i had my eyes shut.

but glad to hear that you're doing so much better now and back on your feet. please eat lots because you're eating for 2 now and maybe you can catch up on the foods you didn't get to enjoy during the first 2 months. please take good care and congrats again!:flowers:
    (please keep me updated on how you're doing;) )
  4. Poor thing!! SO sorry..I have had this as well with one of my pregnancies..NO FUN AT ALL!!
    Itll all be worth it in the end..hope you feel better...itll get better..I promise!
  5. Yes! I was hospitalized for 10 weeks during my pregnancy. I had pyterlism (couldn't swallow my own saliva), IV fliuds, a catheter in my shoulder to give me a bag of food ( Hyper Al), and constant throwing up.

The "baby" is now almost 4 years old and she is very healthy. The good thing is that the baby steals all your nutrients during that time and you get the leftover scraps.

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you continue to have a relaxing pregnancy.
  6. That's terrible! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. What a lousy way to have to spend part of your pregnancy.

Japster...not being able to swallow your own saliva? ohmyGosh!!
  7. Thanks ladies! I really had such a bad time I wanted to die. But guess what. I feel better now only cos I lost the baby at 11 weeks. It was difficult and I had to do a D&C last week. We're trying again in December, when I'm stronger. This time I'm trying tradition chinese medicine (herbs etc) and acupuncture to try and prevent it. So far it's helped with my migraine and I'm hopeful. Thanks ladies!
  8. awww im sorry to hear that TammyD. but im glad that you are feeling better. did they give you parenteral nutrition when you were admitted into the hospital? did the doctors try to give you any anti-emetic agents?? i believe there couldve been something to help you out throughout the pregnancy. if you try again & go through something similar, ask them if there's anything you might be able to take to easy the vomiting. it's hard since there's a chance the baby might be affected, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risk.
  9. I was on drip for 4 days and they put me on dimenhydrinate (zofran?) cocktail. But it didn't help at all. I've read that women with HG have a lower chance of miscarriage but not in my case. Ah well, it's all over now. I'm just afraid it will happen again, but I think with the acupunture and chinese herbal treatment, I should do better next time.

Jill - did you do anything when you had HG?

Japster - OMG! I'm so sorry to hear that. I couldn't take water, but saliva was ok. Gosh. Did you have a better subsequent pregnancy?
  10. My lord! How awful. I was so completely blessed from day one when I was pregnant. No morning sickness, no pregnancy related ailments, nothing. The nurses used to yawn when I came in for my checkups because not even my blood pressure or sugar levels were unusual. I delivered my daughter after only 6-7 hours of labor. The rest of wasn't any worse than menstrual cramps. She came out after only three or four good pushes. The nurse thought I'd had kids before since "You pushed like a pro!"

I know I was completely blessed and never, ever forget that, especially when read and hear of women like you gals that have had it so awful! Pregnancy should (and can) be the most fantastic experience of being a woman. I'm really sad for those of you that didn't get to know that.

Hang in there Tammy. Maybe the next one will be a breeze.:heart:
  11. Tammy..Im so sorry about the baby..I feel so sad for you.I lost a pregnancy at 20 weeks and it was the most god awful time for me.Here if you need to talk!Thinking of you....PS-after that failed pregnancy..I managed to have my daughter..and even though she was induced a month early..It was a much BETTER pregnancy...
  12. Prada Psycho - You're so blessed! I'm praying that I'll be like you - how about rubbing off some of your easy-pregnancy dust on me? :smile:

Jill - Thanks for understanding. It's so great to hear you had a daughter after the miscarriage. I know some women who never had a child again and I'm terrified of that. We're trying!! Will let you know good news when I have it in November/Dec ;)

13. Sprinkling away, Tammy! I hope she helps. :heart:

Photo credit: Sky Fairy by Auto FX Software
  14. PS Tammy: I was told from the time I was 13 that I might not ever get pregnant b/c of ovarian cysts, so you just never know......:flowers: