How's the real estate market in TX?

I'm in Round Rock, Texas. When hubby and I moved here, there was basically nothing to see. Now it's developing but it's not crowded. There's an outlet mall, Ikea and a Scotts and White hospital near where I live. It's neat because we use to drive 30 mins. to get to the nearest mall :biggrin:

hmm.. i'm also thinking of moving out there.. more specifically houston (i know a couple of people for bout 3 years now), and if my parents decide to follow (or visit), the (2nd largest) vietnamese population there will make them comfortable at the very least.

i'm also interested in any information i can get.. haha. i've been looking at buying a home rather than renting.. been seeing some really good prices.. even at 200k.. which in socal, can get you really nothing.. a townhouse in a ghetto neighborhood.. maybe. lol. it definitely can't get a house!

Update on my house browsing: I'm thinking about maybe buying land and custom building my own house. I browsed some vacant lots online in a city called Bastrop nearby the Austin area. Can anyone tell me information about Bastrop? Is it a good place to live? Is the area still being developed? How far is it from the main city?

thanks!!

Update on my house browsing: I'm thinking about maybe buying land and custom building my own house. I browsed some vacant lots online in a city called Bastrop nearby the Austin area. Can anyone tell me information about Bastrop? Is it a good place to live? Is the area still being developed? How far is it from the main city?

thanks!!

Well that depends on what type of area you prefer to live in. I have been to Bastrop on those Sunday drives with my DH and its not for me. Its kind of the Mayberry RFD in The Andy Griffith Show thats the best I can describe it. It has a town square and the buildings are very, very old. If you want to live in a kind of farming community then it would be nice. The one thing I don't care for in Texas is that you will have someone who wants to build a nice custom home on their lot and the next door neighbor has a manufactured home or mobile home on their lot. I am not saying at all that there is anything wrong with that it is just not my preference as far as investments go. It just depends on what you want to do.
A great place to check for lots is Briarcliff and Spicewood its a really nice area. feel free to PM me if you would like..

I don't recommend living IN Houston. However, I recommend Katy (where we are) and Sugarland. You can get a nice house in these areas for that price. We are building right now in fact and I feel the price of our home is cheap. We are paying 600K and it's almost 5,000 sq. feet with a six-car garage on a "larger" lot. Still only 1/3 acre but for this area that's larger. It's fully loaded with granite countertops everywhere, cherry cabinets, wood floors, berber carpet, wrought iron stair rails. Basically we built it with everything.

I haven't lived in Dallas However my brother and sister do and they LOVE it! I also feel Austin is wonderful!

I think Texas is a great choice! Good Luck!

this is very interesting to me - if i left georgia after i graduated college, austin is on the top of the list of places i'd want to live, followed by dallas. anyone know about the job markets/singles scenes in either city?

My fiance looked at some houses over the xmas break at Pflugerville..I think its the one near the hidden lake. I really like the house! There is one in Round rock, i think the community called shadow pointe, but I like the house @ Pflugerville better. Its a pity that the tax is quite high there compare to Round Rock.

Well that depends on what type of area you prefer to live in. I have been to Bastrop on those Sunday drives with my DH and its not for me. Its kind of the Mayberry RFD in The Andy Griffith Show thats the best I can describe it. It has a town square and the buildings are very, very old. If you want to live in a kind of farming community then it would be nice. The one thing I don't care for in Texas is that you will have someone who wants to build a nice custom home on their lot and the next door neighbor has a manufactured home or mobile home on their lot. I am not saying at all that there is anything wrong with that it is just not my preference as far as investments go. It just depends on what you want to do.
A great place to check for lots is Briarcliff and Spicewood its a really nice area. feel free to PM me if you would like..

Thank you! I will definitely check this out! :flowers:

I don't recommend living IN Houston. However, I recommend Katy (where we are) and Sugarland. You can get a nice house in these areas for that price. We are building right now in fact and I feel the price of our home is cheap. We are paying 600K and it's almost 5,000 sq. feet with a six-car garage on a "larger" lot. Still only 1/3 acre but for this area that's larger. It's fully loaded with granite countertops everywhere, cherry cabinets, wood floors, berber carpet, wrought iron stair rails. Basically we built it with everything.

I haven't lived in Dallas However my brother and sister do and they LOVE it! I also feel Austin is wonderful!

OOo, it's great to know someone else is building a custom house! If I have any questions I'll definitely ask you! I won't be moving to Texas for about another year and after I move there I want to check out some of the homes for sale and if I can't find any I absolutely love, then I will custom build mine. My dad is an architect and he has agreed to draw the plans for me and then I will hire builders. Who did you hire to build your house? I'm also looking for a 5000 square foot, 4-5 bedroom house. TIA!! :flowers:

this is very interesting to me - if i left georgia after i graduated college, austin is on the top of the list of places i'd want to live, followed by dallas. anyone know about the job markets/singles scenes in either city?

I, too, would like to know about the job market. I'm in the mental health profession. Is there a large market for psychologists??

OOo, it's great to know someone else is building a custom house! If I have any questions I'll definitely ask you! I won't be moving to Texas for about another year and after I move there I want to check out some of the homes for sale and if I can't find any I absolutely love, then I will custom build mine. My dad is an architect and he has agreed to draw the plans for me and then I will hire builders. Who did you hire to build your house? I'm also looking for a 5000 square foot, 4-5 bedroom house. TIA!! :flowers:

Here are some links for you to look at for this area

MAIN

Houston Area

Perry Homes – New Home Builder Houston Dallas Austin San Antonio Texas

Luxury Home Builder with New Homes For Sale In Houston Texas and surrounding areashttp://www.trendmaker.com

Most builders here are semi-custom. The prices are base as well and I think upgrades will add quite a bit to the home price. I highly recommend Kickerillo as they will build you pretty much what you want but then you are looking at closer to $1MM (or at least we were as I wanted everything AND HUBBY DEMANDED the big garage lol).

I, too, would like to know about the job market. I'm in the mental health profession. Is there a large market for psychologists??

LOL We could really use you here in Houston! LOL

And I agree with Swanky that Dallas is nicer than Houston. DH's job keeps us here though! :shrugs: and the property taxes are high here as well. WELL worth it though for good schools!

Here are some links for you to look at for this area

MAIN

Houston Area

Perry Homes – New Home Builder Houston Dallas Austin San Antonio Texas

Luxury Home Builder with New Homes For Sale In Houston Texas and surrounding areas

Most builders here are semi-custom. The prices are base as well and I think upgrades will add quite a bit to the home price. I highly recommend Kickerillo as they will build you pretty much what you want but then you are looking at closer to $1MM (or at least we were as I wanted everything AND HUBBY DEMANDED the big garage lol).

Thanks sooo much!! :biggrin:

A 2-car, 3 bd bungalow is 900k & up where I live. Probably a great place to have kids, syntagma? I'd love to live in a bigger house. Love the Bay Area though.

goodness syntagma! thanks for all the tips/links! i dont think i could build my own house, but all the sites/info really helped. and i agree with mariska, your house here in theOC is about $4M and up. and 6 car garage?? my god.. that doesn't even exist as an option here... lol.