How to turn down a job?

1. I went for an interview the other day for a job that is not quite what I'm looking for. They haven't exactly offered me the job yet BUT they were really interested in having me come in again for a second round. I actually went in for an informational interview and it turned out they really wanted to interview me. Instead of wasting their time, how do I tell them I'm not interested?

I'm writing thank you notes to the people that interviewd me but I don't know how to tell them I don't want the job, should I say it in the thank you note or email them?

TIA~~~:flowers:

2. I have done this before and I just wrote them a letter saying:

Thank you for taking the time to consider me but I don't feel that this position is a fit for me. I wish you luck in finding the right candidate for your organization.

Keep it short and they'll appreciate your honesty.

3. ^ agreed. you don't want to waste your time- and theirs :smile:

4. sheishollywood: Thank you for the input! I will be sending out my thank you note today.

5. No problem! :smile:

I hope you find something that you enjoy!! I have been on a job search since June and I finally found something that I am 100% sure and excited about!

6. I hope I find something too! It's been a long and sometimes discouraging process. :shrugs:

7. ITA with this. Many, many candidates will not make this effort, so this DOES make you stand out by making the effort to not only send a thank you but an honest yet tactful assessment. :tup:

Never burn bridges...exit with grace and smarts, always!! :yahoo:

8. And the sooner you can do this, the better. Some people are sticklers about handwritten vs email, but - having been a recruiter - to me, an email is faster for everyone.