How to plan a really cheap vacation?

1. Hey everyone, I have a question about traveling for you. I would love to save up for a little vacation somewhere, as my boyfriend and I could really use one. I know he really wants to go to Las Vegas, and it would be great to surprise him one day with a trip. The problem, however, is trying to find a cheap way to do it. When I've looked on certain websites (like Travelocity, Orbitz, etc) to try to see how much it would be for a plane and hotel together, it often says things like "rates as low as $198/person" but I can't figure out a way to do it so cheaply.

When I search these sites, the problem seems to lie in how I search. You have to plug in certain dates, but that doesn't matter to me. I don't care when we go, I just want an affordable trip for a few days. I've tried plugging in random travel dates and it always ends up being around $700+ per person, and that is waaaaay out of my price range.

Any ideas on how to find a very cheap travel package? Or am I destined to save for many years, and stick to an occasionally overnight road trip until then? We are not picky people, so we don't need the best of everything. It would just be nice to travel somewhere together, you know? We've never had a "real" vacation together, and we've been together 4.5 years. Maybe I'll just plan on doing a Florida trip and staying with my grandparents instead (so we'd only need a plane ticket and spending money). Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. :heart:
  2. I don't know what your budget might be but I've been to Vegas and besides the flight and hotel, Vegas alone is expense. The food, shows, tours, etc. Maybe you can go elsewhere besides Vegas.

How about an all inclusive in Dominican Republic? has great deals...all you would pay for is hotel & flight and everything else is included in the package...drinks, food, etc. Trust me that will be a real vacation...Me and my boyfriend went in the beginning of last year we had a blast.

You can PM me if you want any other advice...
  3. all inclusive is the best type of holiday. the only thing you need to do is laze around, eat and drink.
    if you want a holiday with little more action look at hotels and flights seperately. i dont know what the situation is in the US but here in the UK theres a ton of budget airlines and a flight to portugal only costs me around £25/$50.
  4. Vegas is a very expensive place to go, even if you do stay outside of the strip.

Like Cherry said, all inclusives usually give you the best bang for your buck. Also look for cheap cariers like Jet Blue and Southwest!

Airlines like United also have "offers" going on sometimes, I tend to get them in my email. They let me know when they have cheap flights between x and y destinations :smile:

If it has to be Vegas...I'd suggest waiting until the "off season" (if there really is one in Vegas???) Don't go during holidays, school vacations, etc
  5. Thanks everyone!

I just noticed that Orbitz has a flexible dates option, so I'm searching that.

It doesn't have to be Las Vegas, I'd be happy going anywhere really!

NYCBelle, I checked out the Apple Vacations, but we aren't near any of those airports so that would make it more difficult, but thanks for the link! I'm still looking around the site.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm searching through some of the sites and seeing more options. We'd have a blast going to Florida together, we'd have a free place to stay and we could do a lot of fun things together, so that's also a consideration. I'm just now starting to play with the idea of a trip, though, so who knows?

6. I went during the off season (right before xmas) and it was still expensive but then again we stayed in the Venetian. def go to Vegas when you have money to burn.
  7. ^ Then Vegas is out! haha
  8. Those super low rates are kind of misleading. The low number is usually only from certain airports. So yes, it might be $198 if you were leaving from LA to LV, but $750 if you're leaving from an airport in Chicago or New York.

If you don't mind waiting until last minute, Expedia and Travelocity typically have great last minute deals.

For example, I just put this weekend into travelocity and there's a deal for Puerto Rico for hotel, air fare, tax & fees for $474 per person leaving from Philadelphia (my airport). Or there's one for $608 per person going to Spain for 5 days.

That's a really good way to get an awesome deal if you don't mind waiting until a few days or a week before.
  9. You may also want to check out a local travel agency. They should know about packages or charter flights, etc., since we really do not know which airports are close to you. Living close to a hub or major airport really makes a difference!
  10. try where you can name oyur own price or

WE've used both of them & saved absolutely loads!
    Also, check out the hotels own websites they often have great deals.
  11. Can never go wrong with Miami
  12. Thanks again everyone!
  13. July & Aug is probably the cheapest time to come here to Vegas, as long as you stay in a hotel that doesn't have a popular pool.
  14. i don't know what your price range is but my SO and i are planning a vacation together. during our search, we used expedia, orbits, and travelocity. they have a deals&destinations section but your schedule has to be pretty flexible in order to get the deals. they're also pretty last minute so they might be for liek a weekend and a day. you can also go during off-season. also, if you have special credit cards like the hilton rewards card - you can get points/deals on that. my SO's dad paid for a week's worth of Hilton nights in hawaii with his card points. either way, have fun wherever you go! mexico has some good deals too!