How to make a floppy purse stand up

Feb 20, 2012
I have a purse that just won't stand up unless I stuff a pillow or something else inside it. Extremely irritating.

Here's my solution. Now it stands up:
pursestructure.png

I had a box from Ikea meant for organizing clothes. The purse has a near square bottom, and the size fits. Now I can use it!

Do you guys have any other ideas for giving structure to a floppy bag - while using it?

Here's why I did this: I was using a wannabe Neverfull every day to lug phones etc between floors of my house. The straps weren't likely to last long with daily use, and I wanted a bag with a solid strap and open maw that would hold my stuff. I was about to buy a new tote when I started plotting ways to make this one structured so I didn't have to buy a new one.

What's in it: Phone, cell, iTouch, keys (with a tiny emergency hammer - recommended, I'm sure you can find something similar on ebay), and various bits and pieces. The organizer is similar to Pursebright, but bought cheaply on ebay. I'd previously given up on it, but now it works.

Oh, the purse is Rioni Aristo (brown) Top Flap Drawstring Bag.

Last edited:
Great solution, OP! I do something similar with my floppy bags to make them stand. I use the Divide and Conquer organizers in them and then they are good to go.

Yup purse organizer :yes:

Purse To Go organizer and some others would probably work too, but none of my three types would work.

Here's a thread with Divide and Conquer and some other ideas: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/which-purse-organizer-is-best-for-retaining-shape-520207-6.html

I just discovered my purse is just big enough for an Ikea shoe organizer, although slightly too short. Might be an idea for a floppy backpack. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90186391/

Last edited:
LOL!! You are too much! I love it. Similar to be using a shoe box top as a base shaper for my speedy bag. LOL

Haha, good thinking.

I'm not sure a purse organizer would work with my purse. It's got a square bottom and it's tall. For that reason a square box works. Each purse is different, but this one was a challenge.. I guess my message is that you shouldn't limit your thinking to purse organizers if you've got a stubborn, unusually shaped purse.

Also, I would have trouble getting hold of a Divide and Conquer in my country, looks like. Shipping from the US from websites other than ebay is usually problematic. We don't have the Container Store either (big gripe). In countries like mine, Ikea is the main organizing trouble shooter!

I have a purse that just won't stand up unless I stuff a pillow or something else inside it. Extremely irritating.

Here's my solution. Now it stands up:
View attachment 1704549

I had a box from Ikea meant for organizing clothes. The purse has a near square bottom, and the size fits. Now I can use it!

Do you guys have any other ideas for giving structure to a floppy bag - while using it?

Here's why I did this: I was using a wannabe Neverfull every day to lug phones etc between floors of my house. The straps weren't likely to last long with daily use, and I wanted a bag with a solid strap and open maw that would hold my stuff. I was about to buy a new tote when I started plotting ways to make this one structured so I didn't have to buy a new one.

What's in it: Phone, cell, iTouch, keys (with a tiny emergency hammer - recommended, I'm sure you can find something similar on ebay), and various bits and pieces. The organizer is similar to Pursebright, but bought cheaply on ebay. I'd previously given up on it, but now it works.

Oh, the purse is Rioni Aristo (brown) Top Flap Drawstring Bag.
I think a bag organizer would work!