How to Lose LOTS!

1. Hi! I am going on a diet because I have gained some weight from my recent vacation to Mexico and I want to know if anyone had any tips on losing lots of weight fast.I want to lose around 40 lbs. By the way,I didn't gain 40 lbs on my trip!LOL! I just want to lose a few extra pounds.Any tips or help would be GREAT!Thanks so much everyone!:heart:

2. Do lots of cardio (treadmill, elliptical), drink lots of water. You can also try some pilates, kick boxing, etc.

3. Stay away from the white stuff - white bread, white pasta and flour etc. Truly a healthy weight loss is no more than 2 lbs per week. Other wise you are losing muscle plus a lot of water weight which just comes back. Do some weight training too to increase your resting metabolism.

4. Diet and exercise, diet and exercise! By diet, I mean eating healthy food, eating often, lean protein, complex carbs, lots of fruits and veggies :yes:

Cardio is important!

5. If you're going to start a weight loss program, why not join our Summer Weight Loss Club? See the stickies at the top of this forum!

6. If you did gain 40 pounds on vacation, that would have been one fun vacation! :lol: Seriously though, I agree with the other posters. Stick to fruits, veggies, and lean protein like chicken and fish and brown rice and get your daily exercise. Also drink lots of water!

7. cardio is very important but you cannot neglect weight training because when you build more muscle you'll be able to burn more calories throughout the day.

8. Just reiterating...try to stay away from empty calories, you know...junk foods and empty liquid calories, like soda pop.

9. Ditto that and the staying away from white stuff. we B/P issues in the family and are advised to eat as close to the natural grain as possible. it also tastes SOOO much better!

don't starve yourself under any circumstances - eat breakfast, you will eat less during the rest of the day. even if it just a bit of something, it helps. when we starve ourselves our body will hold on to anything we eat - (even water - haha) as it thinks that it won't get anything. result: as soon as you eat it is all back on.

finally, never think DIET - it is what will make you give up in the end. just my experience. oh, and also, allow yourself treats, or you will feel miserable at some point.

10. Absolutely!! Personally, I think weight training is more important than cardio. There have been some new studies out saying that cardio doesn't have any better benefit on weight loss than cutting calories alone. You need to build muscle to burn calories and to make up for the muscle mass your body loses every year as you age. If you circuit train you get the benefit of weight training blended with cardio to burn excess calories. :biguns:

11. Weight training = :biguns:

I totally agree with mokoni and Cindy. Weight training is essential to shedding the pounds and keeping them off. Building muscle increases your metabolism, which means that your body burns more calories at rest, you increase your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR). The more lean body mass (LBM) you have, the more calories you burn at rest and the more you can eat :nuts: It's the combination of weight training and cardio that makes an effective fitness plan.

And it's not just about losing weight quickly. Average weight loss is anywhere from 1-3 pounds a week. Aim for a realistic goal, instead of trying to lose too much too quickly. That gets you into the yo-yo dieting cycle, which causes one to lose a significant amount of weight, only to begin their unhealthy habits again and gain the weight (and more) back. It's a lifestyle change, one that is not done overnight, or over the course of a couple of weeks. It takes months, motivation and a desire to truly change your health for the better.

12. I couldn't agree more!! :yes:

13. Just eat healthy (no white starches!) and do lots of cardio exercise, you'll tone up as you slim down (helped me go back to my healthy BMI of 19) :smile:

If you stick to it you'll lose slowly like I did rather than too fast, and it means you can enjoy a little sweet treat every so often without the weight coming back!

14. The way I lose weight is by eating healthy but also including daily treats. I can't stand feeling deprived, it depresses me and makes me not want to lose weight.

15. No white coloured food, go for low sugar intake and no fried food.