How to indentify crocs

1. Just wondering if anyone know how to identify if a bag / wallet is made of genuine crocodile /allegator skin?
    I saw lots of bags and wallets during my last trip to Florence, Italy. They looked really nice and they all come with a "Vero Crocodillo" certificate but the prices were low for a real thing (below 1000 euro)... Any ideas?

2. You are asking about Hermes specifically?
    For Hermes croc or alligator items, there is a specific mark next to the embossing (Hermes Paris Made in France). The shape of the mark depends on the exact species of the animal. Please check out the reference threads for exotics, and you can take a look at some closeups of authentic croc (both species) and alligator items.

Also, NO Hermes leathergoods are made in Italy, so that is a tipoff right there. As far as I know, the only Hermes items made in Italy at all are some of their cashmeres and some of their RTW clothing.

Lastly, a genuine alligator wallet at Hermes right now is approximately $4000-$5000 USD, if that gives you an indication of the actual value/price. Much lower than that for a new item without any wear or prior use, and I would be suspicious.

3. There is a small dot or pore mark on each scale of authentic crocodile skin. That is one key way of identifying it. See more below and in the attached pic.

Yes authentic croc items can be priced below what you see on high end designer items as the quality of the croc skin may be lower, the croc skin may not have undergone certain treatments that were done on higher end skins, the manufacturing process may have been done by cheaper labor and/or with machines vs. hand stitching, the interior lining and hardware may be of less expensive materials and of course you are not paying for the brand name behind the designer. Because of these differences you can find authentic croc no-name accessories especially when traveling abroad in countries that are the source of such skins that seem drastically lower than what you see available from major designers. I once owned an authentic croc bag lined in fabric before that was about $700-$800.

Crocodile - Integumentary Sensory Organ Pores
    The most distinguishing feature of crocodile leather is the integumentary sensory organ pore. Crocodiles have a sensory hair on each scale that is used to feel their environment. After the skin is tanned the hair is gone but the pore in each scale remains. Close examination of the product will reveal these pores.
    http://www.alligatorfur.com/alligator/croc.htm

crocpore.jpg
  4. Gosh. Someone had a thread up a long time showing a fake croc bag. It wasn't H but she showed that it was embossed croc. It was a great thread and now I can't find it. She showed that the pattern of embossed croc is even and may repeat itself. Also, if you looked closely enough, you could see the tiny pores of the cowhide. Not the sensory pore that BLL shows above, but the actual pores of the cowhide. This you won't see in real croc or gator.

5. my black alligator bifold alligator bearn was $3675 before tax. a trifold would be substantially more i think with the extra section, maybe another thousand?

what happened to the croc authentication book thread, is someone making that or did it slip thru the cracks?