How to get wavy hair?

1. I have very thick, straight hair and I'd like to get it to be anywhere from wavy to curly without having to perm my hair, or use a curling iron.

I was thinking hair rollers... do you ladies have any recommendations? do hair rollers actually work well? is it uncomfortable when you sleep? and having about twice as much hair as most of my friends, would it take too long?

thanks! :girlsigh:

2. Use mousse and braid your hair before you go to bed. That's the easiest way. The more braids you put in your hair, the wavier it's going to be. So if you have thin hair, I recommend one to three braids.

3. ^ITA!

Can you French Braid?
    Slightly dampen your hair and French Braid it befor eyou go to sleep, it'll be SO soft and have the perfect sized waves!
    My hair is naturally wavy, but it's crappy waves! LOL!
    I do this and LOVE the result!
    Even though my hair has some body, it won't really hold a curl and it's VERY thick and long, so rollers aren't really an effective option for me : (

4. It depends on what kind of curl you want but when using rollers its best to get your hair set on rods. The rods are what they use for perms. This can last for about a week the curls continue to fall after you get done so don't get really big rods if you want it to last awhile.

5. There is also a Vidal Sassoon waver. I bought mine at Meijer. It's time intensive, but works!

6. ^Forgot about those, I actually have one too! LOL!
    DH hates the look when I do it though, a little too severe maybe{?}

7. This is what I do.

I have hair equivalent to 3 people and i braid and spray gel... it works perfectly for a wave.. i do about 6 big ones. Make sure your hair is slightly damp.

8. Did you try Frederic Fekkai's wave spray? I heard it works well, but I have yet to try it.

I might go out and get it tommorrow.

9. I have very thick, long hair too, and I do the wet hair with leave in conditioner and braids, works great!

10. Oooh, I heard it works well too. Be sure to let me know how it goes! :smile:

11. Great thread, please keep the advises coming. And post picture of wavy hair style if possible? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

12. I put a light gel in my damp hair, then part it into four sections. I coil two sections at the nape of my neck, and the remaining two at the top of my head. When I wake up in the morning, I use a wide-toothed comb to get rid of any tangles, and then use hairspray to finish it off. That gets me a loose wave and lots of body!

13. I have long thick hair. To get perfect bedhead waves, I literally sleep with my hair damp, right after washing & conditioning it. It dries overnight and in the morning it's pretty much perfect. I add a little Kiehl's groom shine serum and I'm good to go.

But everyone's hair texture is different, and I firmly believe that the texture of my hair has changed in the past few years. I am 33 now, and in my 20s my hair was STICK straight and could barely hold a curl with a curling iron, partially because it was so heavy.

14. I have long, thick hair too. I just did this Monday and I've been doing it since I was 15. Just braid your hair when it is damp and go to bed. Make sure it's not too wet because it has to dry out fully before you take the braids out, or else the braids will uncurl. <-- I've tried to take the braids out many times when I thought my hair wasn't wet anymore, and trust me, it uncurls every time. So make sure your hair is only slightly damp. When you take the braids out in the morning, you can run a little mousse through your hair so it's stays.

15. oh and don't forget, the smaller the braids, the smaller the curls will be. I like doing 1 or 2 braids so it's not too curly and out of control looking.