How to get straight hair to hold a curl?

I appreciate everyone's advice, I think I'm going to try the iron again tonight. What temperature would you guys recommend? I have a Philips SalonCurl Pro, and the lowest temperature is 100 celsius (approx 212 Fahrenheit), and max temp. is 180 C (356 F). I just checked the webpage, apparently there are different settings depending on your hair type and what kind of curl you want, I should read the manual :P

I have a curling iron my hairdresser got me (was like 35 bucks) - it gets very hot - it's not a GHD or anything special, but it is a professional & doesn't burn my hair off.

Once I was getting a up-do done at the salon & I got reprimanded (nicely of course) for washing my hair 1st. Dirty hair holds curls much better. If you're like me & can't stand not washing your hair every day just add product to it. I use a tiny bit of rusk thickening or a generous amount of mousse b4 blowdrying. Also - when curling, once my hair is wrapped around the curling iron barrel I spray a little hairspray on that section. My hair holds the curl for hours & my hair is bone straight.

The only way I can get any curl to stay in my hair is hot rollers and some Fredrik Ferrkai (sp?) sheer hair spray. I get the rollers HOT, then set hair, spray lightly with FF hairspray, and WAIT (I get dressed, apply makeup etc) until the curlers are COMPLETELY COOLED DOWN. Then I take out and wait another couple of minutes to style, then finish off with some more FF Hair Spray. My hair is actually overcurled to my liking for an hour or two but then it's perfect the rest of the day.

I think the real trick to lasting curls is to slightly overcurl and make sure you let the curls cool down completely before messing with them. :smile:

I would love to check out the iron everyone is talking about but after 20-30 curling irons I can't shell out the $$$ for one if it doesn't work to my liking. Also, I have come to LOVE hot rollers because it takes me 1-2 minutes to set my hair and that's it other than the wait time. I really don;t have the patience (or arm stamina) to curl one at a time and wait in between. :smile: I'm lazy!!!