How to get smoke odor out of purses

I just have to say how awesome this thread is. All of these wonderful TPFers sharing their experience. I have an epi petite noe coming from yoogis with a cigarette smell noted and I am definitely going to be using these tips. Thank you so much everyone!! :hugs:

Reactions: BagStalker44
With a YSL satin cigarette case (one of the last collections by Tom Ford, I think 2002??) I bought pre-loved, it definitely had cigarette smell (I wanted it as a minaudiere/evening clutch) and I just stuffed it with tissues sprayed with a mild perfume and left it outside in a safe dry place for a couple of days - airing it really worked a treat, I've never noticed the cigarette smell since :yes:

Well it's only taken 6 weeks or so but I finally got the stink out of a Miu Miu twiggy bag that's velvet and crackle leather. I bought this bag off The Real Real and while it looks new it just stunk of old musty I don't know what all! I polished all the leather with show polish and wiped the velvet down with a slightly damp soapy cloth - no luck. I tried a few perfume soaked cloth pieces inside the bag while sealing the purse in a bag - nope. Then tumbled in the dryer with scented laundry sheets - no. I sat it out in the sun - nothing. I tried activated charcoal - not much help. I tried lavender sachets with the bag sealed in plastic - nothing. I tried coffee - by now I was thinking the bag would have to be thrown out. My last resort - I bought this jar deodorizer called Total Home Odor Absorbing Gel (smell is linen) at CVS. I sat it in the purse and sealed the purse in a plastic bag and put it in the back of the closet and forgot about it. I've let it sit for about 3 weeks. I can finally say that 90% of the stink is gone and it smells linen-ish. What a pain this has been! But, the Total Home stuff does work.

Last edited:
Reactions: JulieKat
Try baking soda the box used specifically for the fridge/freezer. I don't smoke but it may help get the odor out of your bag. Not sure about the rice trick actually working to get the odor out of your bag.

I haven't read each and every comment so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

I acquired a bag from an auction and was mislead to believe that the bag was from a non-smoker or non-smoking home but when I received the bag I could smell the odor from outside the package it was in. I'm a former smoker (from a decade ago) so I'm one of the worst critics.

I called Coach and they referred me to a gentleman who cleans higher end bags. He told me to use fabreeze on the inside and outside of the bag and keep it in a large open space with lots of fresh air. He also suggested wiping it down with a warm damp cloth. I did both and it worked a little.

So I decided to grab some of those large round containers called "Super Odor Eliminator", stuck it on the bottom of a large paper bag, put a small baking rack over it then stuck my purse on top of the rack (this way it didn't touch the odor eliminator at all so the bag didn't get discolored or stained). I rolled the top of the bag so it was closed well and left it in there for a few days.

I was surprised at how well that took out the odor as it was pretty bad (like gagging bad). I then hung it on a hanger and put it directly in front of my bedroom window for a few days while the window was open so it could air out.

It worked amazingly for me. I then wiped it down once again and sprayed it down with fabreeze once more.

Hope that helps too!;)

I wonder if new 'oder-eaters' (for shoes) inside a purse will reduce the smoke odor since they are charcoal based and absorbs smells. It would take a few days/weeks like baking powder or the rice trick mentioned above. The 'oder eaters' might be a neater/easier method than rice/bkg powder.

Oh my, the story sounds similar to mine I purchased a Donald Pilner leather suede bag I could not believe it when I opend the box, it smelled of citrus spray smell, Frebreeze and cigarette smoke it was sickening I was going to return it . The seller was very aware of the smell so she had sprayed it with citrus spray to cover us smoke smell sure wish she would of mentioned this in her listing! She refunded most all of my money and told me to keep the bag .

Cleaning this leather bag was a very long process First I pulled the cloth interior of the purse our and gently washed it with Bio Kleen then i washed the interior with vinegar, baking soda and water let it dry in the sun then I did the same exact thing again! Then I put the purse in a bag and spread ODORZWAY all over it for a few days then I put newspapers in the purse for couple days, Then I let it sit out my deck for a couple days. This purse took up so much of time it was crazy finally the smell began to subside. Then I put baking soda all over the purse and left it on my deck for a couple days, the weather was partly sunny and finally the power of UV and baking soda seemed to finally do the trick

I got a bit desperate and did this to my Chanel all leather flap with a strong odor (icky sweet humidity-related smell gave me headaches). Whenever the weather was humid, the odor was worse. I had ozoned it, anti-bacterialized it, sent it out for cleaning, deep froze it, etc.

Have the bag completely clear of odor that is due to soiling and is completely dry.

I poured a giant box of Arm & Hammer baking soda into a large garbage bag. Then I then placed my *clean* *dry* bag into the baking soda and shook it gently. It coated the entire bag and I left it sealed in the garbage bag and then in a sealed plastic container. I would "turn and coat" the bag twice a day.

After 2-3 days, I took the whole thing outside on a clear day and shook the bag out and gave it a good brushing with a softshoe brush inside and out.

Only on leather (mine was leather on inside too), only on a dry day, on a dry and clean bag. I would NOT try this if it is at all humid, I have a feeling the baking soda will only cake and create wet spots on the bag.

I did this last summer. It has been super humid the last couple of weeks and the smell is minimal. On a scale of 1-10, ten being strongest odor, I would say 1.5 now, or just barely because I am so sensitive to smell. Before then, it was always up around 7-8, even after I had it professionally ionized.

I only recommend this if you are brave enough and desperate enough to try it like I was!

Reactions: BagStalker44
I will tell you a tip I learned that is beyond and above any normal product you could use! It is called an ozone generator - it is what insurance companies use for items that were caught in floods and house fires. It kills mildew and totally eliminates odors. There are some leather restoration places I know that have one, or you may be able to find someone else that has one.

Hi Monique -

I have a shoe rack that fits inside my dryer that allows air to circulate around rack without the shoes being tumbled. The instructions I received said to put six dryer sheets in with a couple of tennis balls and then tumble the jacket (the instructions were for a leather jacket), but my bag has gold handles and wouldn't take to "tumbling". Instead I put the shoe rack in and placed the bag on the rack, and then put about ten dryer sheets in. I put the dryer on gentle heat, and then ran it through a cycle. it's a good idea to check frequently as the dryer sheets ended up on the shelf as well and not tumbling, so I had to move them around frequently. I ended up running the dryer for about four or five cycles before I had made enough progress to touch the bag without smelling smoke on my hands. You can't detect the smoke at all now on the leather, and the bag I purchased had a strong musty cigarette smell.

At Target in the baby section where the disposable diaper bags are they have little arm and hammor baking soda plastic pods that people put in diaper bags - basically it's a little contained unit of baking soda. I have two of these zipped inside the purse now and they are making good progress - better than dryer sheets inside the bag.

Good luck!