HOW TO - Cleaning Make Up Brushes

I just started using a brush and so far I cleaned it only once. I bought it a few weeks ago, but it feels like as long as I clean it tomorrow I'm on the right track for once a week. It feels like I've had it for several weeks though... but I will say once a week.

Does anyone know if there's an appropriate time to? Should it be after every use? I just feel like it gets difficult because then you have to wait for the product that cleans it to dry and I feel like I might want to touch something up or at least bring it out with me.

Unfortunately, I clean with the Trish McEvoy spray cleaner far more often than I deep clean them with the TM shampoo for her brushes.

Some makeup artists say to clean after every use, but I was told by the TM SA to clean with the spray cleaner every other day and shampoo my brushes once every 2 weeks.

for those that are for cream products (eg fdn) after every use. all others 1-2 wks

good thing i have tons of brushes :P

anything more than 2wks is gross/unsanitary to me. also oil wil get on powder makeup and leave gross films. i love my mu and like to take care of it

Hmm, I use the Mac brush cleaner after every use on a Stila eye countour brush -I think I just get grossed out by wet shadow. I don't use the brush that often though so I do it so I won't have caked on stuff next time.

HEy Beauty Experts,

It's time for me to clean my make up brushes.... but i've never done it before!!

i know i know, don't yell at me....

OK so i need some advice of what to and not to do. :confused1:

I read that you can just clean it with mild soap. I was going to use the neutrogena facial cleanser. I mean if i can wash my face with it, it should be ok for brushes right???

OR do you guys strongly recommend buying a make up brush cleaning solution. i know places like bobie brown have them. is there a big difference? :shrugs:

Tell me what ingredients i should look for and which are to be avoided.

should i also clean the brushes with alcohol disinfectant to get rid of any bacteria?? i'm scared of bacteria.... don't ask why i haven't cleaned the brushes in that case:Push: alot of things are not logical in life!!!:supacool:

THANKS GALS!!!

1. Put a small amount of facial cleanser in the palm of your hand.
2. Wet the brush bristles with warm water.
3. Swirl the brush bristles in your palm, working the cleanser into the bristles.
4. Rinse the brush with warm water.
5. Repeat the 4 steps above until all makeup is out of the brush. (The rinse water will run clear when the makeup is out.)
6. Gently squeeze out excess water with a clean towel or paper towel.
7. Reshape the bristles and lay the brush flat on a clean towel or paper towels until dry.

You should clean your brushes a least once a week. Your makeup brushes pick up oils and bacteria with use. If you are using quality brushes and cleaning them on a regular basis, they will last a very long time.
Make sure to use a gentle, facial cleanser to wash your brushes with. ^-^

Also if you are going to use them again and want them clean right away use Baby Wipes.

Great question. I've just purchased some chanel brushes. I thought she mentioned shampoo? I also used my neutrogenia foaming cleanser on them with the same thought that if it takes makeup off my face it should work w/brushes.

Frankly, I think those "special" brush cleaners are just a gimmick. Overpriced soap basically. I use an antibacterial soap under warm running water. Then squeeze out the excess water & lay flat on a clean washcloth to dry.

I have an Estee Lauder and a MAC brush cleaner, both i have used all of about 5 times, they dont lather very well, i just use shampoo now, it's so much easier and it smells nice too!