How to care for snake/python?

I worked for many years at a boutique who sold only exotic bags and accessories. The best way to prevent scales from lifting, or any other issues that come with python is simple - always store it in a cool dry place. Always keep it in the dust bag. If your python is in either a humid and warm, or very old old room- it is a recipe for disaster. Sadly there really is no true way to fix a badly lifted scale.

Hihi, I've a couple of questions regarding python bags.
1) Some of the python bags are made from leather with bigger scales vs smaller scales. So is there any difference in maintenance between these 2?
Are bigger scales or smaller scales more prone to lifting?

Attached 2 pics which I extracted showing the bigger scales vs smaller scales.

2)Also, how do you tell if the scales are dry and require conditioning?

3) some python leather have a shimmery look vs matte. So which is easier to maintain, prone to scale lifting and drying?

Thks in advance! :smile:

Attachments

• image-3204958216.jpg
    image-3204958216.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9,709
  • image-406184452.jpg
    image-406184452.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 9,781
Yes, snake skin can be moisturized to help prevent/fix scale curling. Make sure you spot test first, and use a conditioner that is recommended for exotics.

Also, I've never done it myself, but I have heard that putting the bag in the fridge overnight will help the scales return to normal. Anyone tried this?
has anyone ever tried the "putting the bag in the fridge overnight will help the scales return to normal" as dreamlet mentioned before? sounds risky but im curious if anyone has ever given it a shot.

Hihi, I've a couple of questions regarding python bags.
1) Some of the python bags are made from leather with bigger scales vs smaller scales. So is there any difference in maintenance between these 2?

3) some python leather have a shimmery look vs matte. So which is easier to maintain, prone to scale lifting and drying?

Thks in advance! :smile:

Usually larger are more prone to lifting, some larger python are shaved leaving the pattern but without so much texture.

It's not so much the size of scales as to the way they have been prepared. It also lot also depends on the bag, a hobo is usually going to have my problems than a rigid bag (the skin is often fitted over leather or brass).

With the price of some of these bags I wouldn't risk a DIY job, that's what aftercare is for. Increasing the wrong kind of moisture may also weaken the scale and it can dropout altogether, some conditioners work temporarily and then make the scales even dryer later.

Neither. It all depends on the quality of the skins, the preparations and the bag. Matte or shiny, it's just about preference. Good quality skins on good quality bags should last for decades.

I worked for many years at a boutique who sold only exotic bags and accessories. The best way to prevent scales from lifting, or any other issues that come with python is simple - always store it in a cool dry place. Always keep it in the dust bag. If your python is in either a humid and warm, or very old old room- it is a recipe for disaster. Sadly there really is no true way to fix a badly lifted scale.

:goodpost:

I bought a dyed snakeskin across body bag in Hong Kong in 1984 and have kept it hanging in my closet since then. I think I have used it a total of 5 times. I looks almost the same as it did the day I bought it. Should I be doing something different? After reading through all the comments about conditioning , maybe this is something I need to do?

Reactions: hermes_lemming
There is a specific lotion/cleaner that is made for exotics. You should never use anything that is meant for leather.

Hi, I've been dealing with exotic skin handbags for over a decade using the Apple brand leather care products developed specifically for exotics, including python. Here's the link to the info about the product (wait until it loads): http://www.exoticskinhandbags.com/#!__handbag-care/apple-leather-care-products

You can order it from Amazon and here're a couple of reviews: "Apple Leather Care 8 Oz., 3 Pack! (Apparel)

By Deanne Taylor "DT" (United States) -"I collect vintage Carlos Falchi bags from the 70's and 80s. These bags often require careful conditioning and cleaning because of the exotic skins used in their manufacture. I have found that Apple Leather Care softens and smooths the scales of older python and other exotic leathers, without resulting in scale-lift or other unpleasant effects that might result from standard leather conditioners. To apply, I give my vintage exotic leathers a small amount of Apple leather care with the fingers in the direction of the scales, not enough to soak the leather but just enough to 'dampen' it. I then allow it to dry, and then polish the leather in the scale direction with a very soft cloth. I re-apply Apple leather care once or twice a year for stored bags and more often for actively used bags. I have found that it restores softness and shine to intact vintage leathers of all kinds. I have found that in the long term (years) there are no noticeable effects (other than great condition!) from using Apple leather care on my exotic leathers".

Here's another review by the person who uses it on her Chanel leather bags and Louis Vuitton (canvas and leather): By LondonLove - "I have been using the cleaner and conditioner for years on my handbags -Chanel (leather), Louis Vuitton (both canvas & leather) and it is amazing".

Hope it helps!:smile:

Re: Reptile Skin:
Don't use perfume to cover unpleasant odors as the perfume will turn rancid over time and smell worse. Wash your hands of all lotions & perfumes, makeup and alcohol gel cleansers before handling your handbags...they take a real toll on the straps & handles of all handbags and speed up deterioration of reptile or any leather.
If you decide to go it yourself, only use a top grade reptile/exotic cleaner/conditioner specifically designed for REPTILE... test it in a small inconspicuous area and wait overnight to see effect on color & texture. Work with the grain and never against the scales so they aren't lifted/damaged when you apply special cleaner/conditioner. Do NOT use a regular leather cleaner as these are too harsh...reptile skin is very thin and very very delicate.
Setting a reptile bag in the sun will damage the skin and make it deteriorate faster and definitely the number 1 rule to NEVER do to reptile hide or any leather. Keep it in a dry/cool/dark area stored away from blast of A/C or heat and wrapped in an old soft cotton flannel pillowcase set inside an acid-free archival box and not flattened or compressed against anything. Never store in plastic bags or containers...these cause fumes to build and will break down the reptile skin and make moisture issues especially in damp climates/conditions. Never use "glue" to tack down lifting scales...you will have a mess on your hands..it will seep around the scales and then no way to remove it without causing further damage. Curling/lifting scales can be conditioned but you can't completely relax the lifting/curling once it has occurred. It has to be prevented by using a high quality cleaner/conditioner made specifically for reptile/exotic skins (there are several on the market) on a regular basis depending on usage. Don't let the bag sit neglected as it will dry out and deteriorate.
If you decide to send it to a leather repair shop or cleaner, make sure they are experts in handling/cleaning REPTILE handbags and ask all your questions up front; I received a quote of $265 today and they stated cleaning will make it darker and they "cannot" remove perfume scent and no guarantees. Never use a solvent as that will breakdown the skin and damage it...always gentle and with a product specific to reptile/exotic hides.

Last edited:
Re: Reptile Skin:
Don't use perfume to cover unpleasant odors as the perfume will turn rancid over time and smell worse. Wash your hands of all lotions & perfumes, makeup and alcohol gel cleansers before handling bag...these take a real toll on the straps and handles of all handbags and speed up deterioration of reptile and any leather.
If you decide to go it yourself, only use a very good reptile/exotic cleaner/conditioner and test a small inconspicuous area and wait to see effect on color & texture. Work with the grain and never against the scales so they aren't lifted when you apply. Do NOT use a regular leather cleaner as these are too harsh...reptile skin is very thin and very very delicate.
Setting a reptile bag in the sun will damage the skin and make it deteriorate fast and definitely the number 1 rule to NEVER do to reptile or any leather. Keep it in a dry/cool/dark area stored away from blast of A/C or heat and wrap it in an old soft cotton flannel pillowcase and not flattened or compressed against by anything. Never store in plastic bags or containers...these cause fumes to build and will break down the reptile skin and make moisture issues especially in damp climates/conditions. Never use "glue" to tack down lifting scales...you will have a mess on your hands..it will seep around the scales and then no way to remove without causing further damage. Curling/lifting scales can be conditioned but you can't completely relax the lifting/curling once it has occurred. It has to be prevented by using a high quality cleaner/conditioner made specifically for reptile/exotic skins on a regular basis depending on usage. Don't let the bag sit neglected as it will dry out and deteriorate.
If you decide to send it to a leather repair shop or cleaner, make sure they are experts in handling/cleaning REPTILE handbags and ask all your questions up front; I received a quote of $265 today and they stated cleaning will make it darker and they "cannot" remove perfume scent and no guarantees. Never use a solvent as that will breakdown the skin and damage it...always gentle and with a product specific to reptile.