'How to be English' a YouTube hit for schoolboy

1. Tue Oct 2, 7:33 AM

LONDON (AFP) - A British schoolboy's tongue-in-cheek guide on 'How to be English' has become a major online success, attracting more than 1.5 million visitors since it was launched in April.

Charlie McDonnell, 17, from Bath, Somerset, has more than 13,000 subscribers signed up to his YouTube page for regular updates on his blog on English manners and mannerisms including how to make the perfect cup of tea.

The teenager's satirical sketches have now won him an invitation to appear on the ABC channel's popular daytime show The View, co-hosted by Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg.

"I set up a You Tube account about six months ago and thought I might as well do something with it and started filming little videos and sketches. The 'How to be English' one was one of the most popular. I got quite a few comments from Brits accusing me of being an American pretending to be English," McDonnell told reporters this week.

"But the responses have been really positive and it's interesting to see how Americans view the British," he added.

The eight-minute clip, 'How to get featured on You Tube', also offered tips to fellow bloggers and saw the number of subscribers soar from 100 to 4,300 in a few days.

You'll find the video here: