How Pantene Almost Made Me Bald!

Miss.Cherie

celine wannabe
Oct 30, 2009
Hi everyone,
So two days ago I went to my hairdresser to get a cut and colour. I wanted to get ombre. So I had my consultation then my colourist got started with the foils. After having done only 4 foils she gasped and said touch the foil, which was piping hot. We rushed over to the washing station and when she opened the foil steam came out!! A fellow stylist came over and said "Do you use pantene" and I did use it! She then proceeded to tell me of how one of her clients had her hair bleached and after taking out the foils the hair was coming out in her hands. She also said of how she knew other colourists who this had happen to them also. She mentioned something to do with high silicone content and build up because the shampoo hardly cleans the hair properly, and this somehow causes a reaction. ( if you are curious I was using the Pantene Pro-V Ice for Fine Hair for a few months :sad: )
I was so lucky my colourist noticed when she did, or the same could have happened to me! :nogood:
I thought I would post this to warn others! My stylist and colourist told me to use head and shoulders for 1 month, and my phillip kingsley conditioner and elasticiser (so my hair isn't completely dried out) Then to come back and they would do a test to see if it is okay to carry out the ombre.
However this might not be the case for everyone? If any of you used pantene and successfully dyed your hair/bleached hair please let me know!
Thanks for reading and ihth!

How awful! I read in newspaper a couple of years ago about someone who had an awful reaction to Pantene. It was the classic one. I've always been fine with Pantene but I do find it quite harsh.

I normally dislike Pantene but I've been using their Volume for Fine Hair line and I like it a lot. The shampoo is 100% silicone and paraben free but I don't think the conditioner is. But I've been using it pretty regularly on my mid-back length hair and have not experienced any problems other than a bit of dryness on my ends.

Wow, that's scary! I don't use Pantene, or any other non-salon brands because I'm so scared of something like that happening. I remember a thread not too long ago where the poster had used that blow dry perfecting stuff (Garnier, I think?), and it really did a number on her hair.

Wow, that's scary! I use Pantene - their curly line controls my curly hair the best of all the shampoos/conditioners I've tried. I don't dye my hair, but this makes me want to try a new brand!

Wow! i did not know this. Did the womens hair fall out from the root? or was it just major breakage she was having? I used pantene in the past. The one for blondes i think it was. I do highlights and lowlights in my hair. I do not think i ever had a problem with it. i did switch to a sulfate free shampoo about 2 years.

I was always told by stylists not to use Pantene as well. I tried it back when it first came out and it would NOT come out of my hair.

OT but sort of related: The box hair dye I bought in a pinch the other day had a fairly large sample of Pantene attached.

Hi everyone,
So two days ago I went to my hairdresser to get a cut and colour. I wanted to get ombre. So I had my consultation then my colourist got started with the foils. After having done only 4 foils she gasped and said touch the foil, which was piping hot. We rushed over to the washing station and when she opened the foil steam came out!! A fellow stylist came over and said "Do you use pantene" and I did use it! She then proceeded to tell me of how one of her clients had her hair bleached and after taking out the foils the hair was coming out in her hands. She also said of how she knew other colourists who this had happen to them also. She mentioned something to do with high silicone content and build up because the shampoo hardly cleans the hair properly, and this somehow causes a reaction. ( if you are curious I was using the Pantene Pro-V Ice for Fine Hair for a few months :sad: )
I was so lucky my colourist noticed when she did, or the same could have happened to me! :nogood:
I thought I would post this to warn others! My stylist and colourist told me to use head and shoulders for 1 month, and my phillip kingsley conditioner and elasticiser (so my hair isn't completely dried out) Then to come back and they would do a test to see if it is okay to carry out the ombre.
However this might not be the case for everyone? If any of you used pantene and successfully dyed your hair/bleached hair please let me know!
Thanks for reading and ihth!

Despite the fact that I am not a huge fan of Pantene, I really don't think that there is any way that a stylist could determine (100%) that Pantene was the cause of the trouble. And again, I don't use Pantene and I've never really cared for it, so this isn't about me "protecting" the brand. I know tons of people who have used Pantene for years, and who routinely have color, etc. done to their hair, with no problems at all. Perhaps certain hair types are more susceptible.
This is a bit off-topic, but for product build-up in my hair, I add about a TBLSP of baking soda to my regular shampoo and it removes the build-up.
Best of luck with your hair OP!:smile:

I love Pantene. It's the only shampoo that actually cleans my hair and doesn't leave it looking greasy the next day. I have very thick, healthy hair so i can't say that it's done any damage.

I just wanted to add that I talked to my sister, who was a professional stylist for years, and while Pantene is certainly not a favorite among professionals, she was not aware of any stories about Pantene causing any such problems that OP has described.