How old is too old to start a family?

1. Hi everyone! I'm 25 yrs old. My priorities right now is finishing school and focusing in my career. I do however want to have kids at some point of my life. Maybe like in my mid 30's. My family is saying that I'm getting old and should consider having kids soon or else I'll be too old and by then it would be too late to have children. How old is too old to have a baby?

2. I think it depends on each person. I was 30 with first, 37 with second child and wouldn't change a thing. I was not mature enough in my 20's. I don't think you are old at all and finishing school/career is a great idea. Have your fun now and school etc. have the family later. A lot of woman I know got married early w/kids and now in 40's divorced and playing the field. I got that all out of my system in my 20's with the guys and partying.

3. i got married at 29 and had my first child ( a honeymoon baby:graucho:) later that same year. i have been married for 3 years and at 32, am expecting my second child, god willing, in 3 months.

i totally agree with lorebunde, it depends on each person. i was busy traveling the world, building my career, and learning myself during my 20's. but i also have friends who have been married since 19 and are headed into their 40's. so be patient with yourself and try your best to tolerate your family's persistence :smile:

4. It depends on the person. You are 25 and still young! You've got plenty of time to be a mom :smile:

I believe it's too old when you start to feel too old. It just depends on the person.

5. Awww.... Thanks guys you all have boosted my spirits. After hearing certain things all the time I started Believing that my time was almost up on becoming a mom. I guess you could say I am a late bloomer! I really appreciate everyone's input!

6. I was 37 with my first and 40 with my second child. I don't think there is a perfect age. Listen to what you want out of life and not what families or friends try to pressure you in to.

7. I was 33 with my first and 35 with my second. It's completely do-able in your 30's but if I could go back and do it all again, I would've done it earlier since there are more risks in your mid thirties and my body got pretty beat up in the process. This is just my personal opinion. You need to do what's best for you.

8. ^^to each his own, as others have said. You are plenty young. I don't know you but IMO so many young people in their 20s (like my children) have a lot of living to do yet before they are mature enough to have children.

9. That's what I am affraid of. They are more risk to a pregnancy when women get older.

10. I still think I am to selfish and I have a lot of things I want to do before having a child. To be honest, I am still trying to mature. I also want to be financially stable, but then again who doesn't want to be able to provide their children with the best in life.

11. ^^ You are not being selfish, you are being responsible. Please don't let your family 'push' you into starting a family sooner than you want to. They are not the ones who have to raise the child, you do. Live your life, do all the things you want to do and when the time is right...you will know. :smile:

12. I'm 36 and I would say this pregnancy is going more smoothly than the ones I had at 18 and 25. I was in fantastic shape when I conceived this little one, and it shows in how I feel. All of my pregnancies have been high risk and required bedrest, but I am much less sore and have gained less.

13. I think it varies from person to person. I waited a long time to marry THE ONE, whom I've dated on and off for 13 years. Any moment earlier would have been wrong. And there couldn't have been a better father for my child than him. So, starting a family isn't about age. It's about being ready.

14. I'm 33 and pregnant with my first. This is definitely the right time for me. All things being equal (and of course, they are not) I would have liked to have started a bit earlier for my body's sake.

15. I have a relative who started a family all by herself. She is 40 years old and just had her first kid, planning on having maybe another one within the year. It's not too late if you're still fertile. :upsidedown: