How often should we do cardio?

1. How often should cardio be done on a weekly basis? I keep hearing different numbers, so I'm not sure. How long should each cardio session last? Are there negative effects if cardio is done more than the expected amount? Thanks so much!
  2. Typically you should start around 3 times a week for 30 minutes, and then you can work your way up.

Working out a ton could be seen as negative- but up until 2 years ago I worked out 11 times a week cardio for at least 2 hours at a time... it is all relative :yes:

Always better to start off manageable and work your way up if you chose to. But 30 minutes is needed to get the heart pumping properly.
  3. Very good advice. Megs, you are an animal!
  4. ^ I'm not crazy... just a college Division 1 athlete in my past life :supacool:
  5. I agree, I'd strive for 30 minutes/day at least 3 times/week, more days would be more better! LOL!
  6. I agree with everyone else....

I generally do some kind of cardio everyday.
  7. I do a different activity every day and add in 30 mins of cardio every other day (unless I decide to jog that day)
  8. I try to do 45 mins - 1 hour, three times a week. :yes:

I agree with others that the minimum is 30 mins, three times a week.
  9. If you are going for fat loss, the newest studies show that you must do high intensity activity. If you are just starting out then by all means, go slow and build up.

For all of you that are already in shape, it's time to crank up the intensity. The great thing about the HIT is that it takes a lot less time. I can't imagine going walking for miles that takes a couple of hours. I would rather work really hard and be done in 20 to 30 minutes.

Your body becomes conditioned to whatever you do to it. If you have been doing the same thing at the same pace for a few weeks or longer, you will burn less calories. That is why it is important to cross train.

10. Great post. I do HIIT a couple of times a week, and I really like it. I'm completely exhausted after I'm done, but I feel like I've kicked major butt.
  11. What exactly is HIT? And how do you know that you're doing it?
  12. it is High Intensity Interval Training.

Basically, you would get your heart rate up and down. If you had to judge how you are feeling on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being, "I can do this all day" and 10 being "I can only do this for about 60 seconds or so, and I might just die". You should alternate between the two of those.

Let's say you are on the treadmill. I will warm up, then set a jogging pace, then I sprint at 10 mph for about 1 minute and then recover. I will do this for 30 minutes. What happens when you work out like this, is that you will raise your metabolism for up to 36 hours (I can show studies if anyone wants them).

I like to go outside, find a really steep hill and sprint up as fast as I can and then either walk or jog back down, just enough to catch my breath and then go again.

If you are just starting out, you can use the bike or elliptical. You would put on some resistance and then go as fast as you can until you are at YOUR level 9-10. Your level 9-10 might not be what mine is, that is why you are the judge of how hard you work.

For some people, a level 9-10 might just be walking up a hill.

I hope that helps.

I'm alway available to answer fitness questions.

13. I think if you're trying to lose weight, do about 45 mins, 5 days a week. If you just want to maintain, then 3 days a week.
  14. I try to do some type of cardio at least for 30 minutes, 7 days a week.
  15. I try to do 20 minutes minimum 5 days a week.

Cardio burns the calories you ate for the day so everyday would be ideal for me!