How often do you buy a new handbag/purse?

Thanks for answering everyone! You all seem very dedicated. I'm getting a Juicy Couture bag very soon...so I'm sort of down there, if you know what I mean, but I'm working on building a Coach and Dooney & Bourke collection. Louis Vuitton, which I really like, is a bit out of my price range. I don't have a salary...yet. I'm a junior in high school. But I worked a lot this summer, and my birthday's coming up, so my budget's slightly bigger than before. LOL

I bought a bag at American Eagle yesterday, so I'm not as into the high-end bags as you can probably see. I wait for things to go on sale a lot of the time. Like I shop at Filene's Basement, and sometimes Marshall's, so I can get out-of-season designers for less.

I usually buy 1 bag a month but that was when I liked Coach. Now that I like LV & Gucci I'm trying to buy a couple times a year since they are more expensive. I was very bad during June & July though...4 LV's & 2 Gucci's. I promised myself that I am only going to buy a couple bags a year since I went crazy those 2 months.

Thanks for answering everyone! You all seem very dedicated. I'm getting a Juicy Couture bag very soon...so I'm sort of down there, if you know what I mean, but I'm working on building a Coach and Dooney & Bourke collection. Louis Vuitton, which I really like, is a bit out of my price range. I don't have a salary...yet. I'm a junior in high school. But I worked a lot this summer, and my birthday's coming up, so my budget's slightly bigger than before. LOL

I bought a bag at American Eagle yesterday, so I'm not as into the high-end bags as you can probably see. I wait for things to go on sale a lot of the time. Like I shop at Filene's Basement, and sometimes Marshall's, so I can get out-of-season designers for less.
It sounds like you are really working to build your collection. I think it is wonderful that you worked and earned the money for your bags. In many ways that makes it even more special when you get them.

To answer your question, I just get bags when I see something I like or feel like adding to my collection. I havne't noticed a pattern yet. Sometimes I purchase two or three in one month, sometimes I go three or four months without purchasing ANY.

That's great! If you love it, who cares what the name is, it's whether it works for you in the end. I don't like to get TOO caught up in brands (although there are many I love obviously, or I wouldn't be a tPF member, lol!). I tend to like expensive bags, whether it be my favourite brand (Bal) or less known brand from a boutique.

I'm a student too, and I only work in the summer. I pay for University myself, so I buy one bag a year. I think I'm good at restraining myself, and I think that's really important. No use causing myself financial grief over purses :P

Within 2 months I bought 3 LVs (the BH, Speedy30, Hampstead PM), 1 Tods, 1 Fendi, 1 Loewe. I own 18 coach bags and ...im upgrading!
Sinful really, but i know my last bag purchase will never be my last.
Right now, I am soo in love with the Damier Trevi PM... gotta get my hands on it!

So, I'm sorry if this is a completely tacky question to ask, but for those of you who buy several costly bags per year/month, where do you get the money for them? Really good jobs, or are bags just a spending priority?

Depending on whether there is something I really want, I'll buy a bag about once a month. This past year has been a busy one for me...LMAO! In response to your question Laurie8504, I am very fortunate to have a great career that I have worked very hard for that allows me to indulge in some nice things.

Probably you weren't talking about me! but I buy my purses with money I have left over from my weekly salary after paying for daycare and household bills, my hubby pays the rent and the car and saves the rest of his salary. So I'm not using money I could better use elsewhere. I personally can't bring myself to spend anything more than $200 on a purse, I have a child who will go to college one day and I'd like to own a home and a car sooner rather than later. If I had more than a couple of hundred to spare each week I'd probably work less so my daughter could be at home more rather than buying more expensive purses.

Ladies of TPF, I think I have an addiction. I decided about a year and a half ago to invest in my purse collection. I've always had a designer bag since I was in grade school. But I hit a detour when in college and I had a friend tell me you shouldn't put all your money in one designer bag and get several handbags that complement your outfits (back in those days you got one purse and carried it w/ everything). Yes ladies I know I know...I was stupid. Well one day I decided I could invest in designer bags that will complement outfits and last. Well I thought I would buy a bag a year or maybe two. Then it got to the point when I saw a bag I liked I would just get it. And now I have found you guys. I've looked at some of the threads and see the beatiful collections and now I want another bag. How many bags a year is too much? I hate to admit it, but I wasn't up on Tano until I saw this site. Now I'm thinking about getting the Sexbomb! Do I need help or is there anyone else like me or worse?

More than you can afford is too much.

There is no pattern to my bag buying. It depends on if there is anything I like and my budget. I bought two bags within about a month, but that was because of some recent good sales(HH and LP).

And I have been eying the Tanos too. :P