Handbags & Purses

How Much the Average Woman Spends on Handbags Per Year and How Many She Owns (Stats)

NagaJolokia Posted By NagaJolokia Posted Mar 4, 2009

1. I'm wondering what crazy man did these stat. I don't think many women that spend $45 to $60 dollars on a handbag! Unless the catch the sale of the century. AND Why didn't any one call me for that sale? :shrugs:

2. Hmmm. Obviously those stats don't include us tPF folks. LOL.

3. I wish my sales tax were so little...

4. No way! I think all those women lied on the questionaire. :p

5. One of the first bags that I purchased after moving to US was Kenneth Cole Reaction. I got it from Marshalls for $25 plus tax. It was small but made from leather. I've used it for many years and still occasionally use it when I travel and don't want to attract attention. I should probably get rid of it but it has certain sentimental value to me at this point.

It took me a while to move past $100 point. I had expensive footwear but not purses, it just was not my thing. And it's not like I could not afford them. I was just blissfully ignorant, I guess. I spent tons of money of travel, dining out and shows.

My first expensive purse was small Gucci bag that I bought for myself for my birthday since DH forgot to give me anything :sad: and I was going to make it right :graucho:. I did not acquire any bags until I discovered tPF. And now I have two BVs, which both were over $1K, and a few Goldenbleu bags.

My MIL loves purses but with the exception of Botkier that I gifted her keeps her bags relatively cheap. Mostly Liz Claiborn and such. She also can afford to spend more on a purse but does not see the need.

So, yes, while I find these statistics surprising I believe them. Same as when I found out income for an average family in US.

6. Of which 50% frequent a forum on the internet about purses! LOL

7. I have about 5 or 6 bags in my collection that fit that price range. They were bought on sale though, and most are pleather or fabric, or second-owner. They're great for park days with the little kids when I shudder to imagine getting sap on one of my good bags.

I would find it interesting to do the same statistics polling tPFers also. I imagine we would so skew the charts, but purse fanatics (like me for sure) can do that.

8. $45 for a bag? My husband should be so lucky.

9. I am pretty sure tPFers would be 'outliers' both in terms of average price per bag paid and number of bags owned. It's a self-selection process, the more you like bags, the more information you seek. And vice-versa - the more you are educated about purses and what's available, the more likely you are to own an expensive purse.

Also, I don't think tPF population would be representative of female population in US.