How much does it cost to design your own ring?

1. I was just wondering if any of you guys designed your own rings and if so how much does it cost for the labor? When I get engaged I kind of want to use the stone I get and then design my own wedding band or engagement ring. So just wanted to do the research first even though it will not happen for a very long time :idea:

2. It's always a good idea to do lots & lots of reasearch... what size diamond, what kind of metal... how elaborate...experience of jeweler...how long the process will be..

I'd suggest checking this place out... :nuts:

The Forum Engagement Ring Folder/Eye Candy

3. It didn't cost us anything extra. . . but we use a diamond broker, we refuse to pay reatil on most things.

4. DH just showed the jeweler pictures of the ring setting we liked. Don't think it cost anything extra ... we just paid for the setting which was about $1K - platinum. I heard the price of platinum has gone up a lot in the past few years so it maybe a bit higher now.

5. It depends on the look you're after.

The first thing I would suggest is to nail down your idea of the central stone: if it's going to be a diamond, or a sapphire or whatever. Then determine your cut and any accompanying stones. A good private jeweller should be able to show you any number of loose stones in a variety of cuts and sizes, which you can then design a setting around.

It doesn't cost any more to have a ring designed and made. In some instances, you may actually save money.