How much cardio?

1. Hey all,
    When devising a workout plan, in general how much cardio (in addition to weights) do you need to do per workout to lose weight? Thanks in advance!

2. i've always heard it was 30 minutes a day 3-5 times a week. or something along that lines. Also, you have to figure out your target heart rate and keep it at that level the whole time for weight loss.

3. It depends on the type of cardio and weight and your level of training and how fast you want to lose the weight. There is no hard and fast rule.

Generally, if you are doing weights for 45-60min 3-4X a week, you would do cardio maybe 3-4 X a week, 20 min high intensity interval. If doing moderate cardio sessions, make sure at least 30-40 min.

Lastly, never forget that diet counts for 80% of it all so you can have the best workout but not see results if your diet is crap.

4. I've also heard that you need to switch speeds to optimize fat burning, otherwise your body adjusts and you won't burn as many calories.

5. I work out with a trainer (lifting weights) 3x per week. She suggests 30-45minutes of cardio 5x per week. Remember not to let your heart rate get too high (if you want to burn fat).:smile:

6. IMO, you can get better results with 20 min high intensity (HIIT) cardio 3-4X a week instead of 5 X 30-45min.

And heart rate training is a myth, well its not really a myth because going at a lower heart rate does burn more fat but at the end of the day weight loss is calories out > calories in and you definitely burn alot more calories if you go harder.

7. ditto that!

8. I do tons of cardio every week - run 5-6miles about 3-4 times a week but if i don't watch my diet, i lose NO weight :sad:

Also, if i don't pay attention, i run at a really comfortable pace and find myself being able to sing while i'm running. This is not good either IMO.

I think 30 minutes is good as long as it's paired with some weight training and a good diet.