How Much Benadryl Do I Give My Dog?

1. My dog had a reaction to the shampoo at the groomer's and she got a terrible hot spot on her tail. She's chewed off most of her hair and it is bleeding. The vet gave me a spray and some antibiotics and she told me to give her Benadryl too so that she wouldn't itch so much.

I took her to the vet yesterday, but now I can't remember the dosage of Benadryl to give her. I gave her two tablets this morning. She weighs 74 lbs. and is 12 years old. She's a collie/golden retriever mix, if that makes a difference. Should I give her more tonight? Or tomorrow morning?

Thanks for your help!

2. I think two per dose is plenty. It will probably make her drowsy. You can give her some more tonight otherwise she may start chewing on her tail again while you're asleep. If she continues doing it the morning, I would give her 1 capsule so she's not affected by the side effects as much. Good luck to your doggie, I hope she feels better soon!

3. Thanks so much thithi! She definately got sleepy after I gave them to her, but they did the trick. She didn't chew on her tail, thank goodness.

I will give her two more around 10 p.m. then. Poor little baby. We both appreciate your advice.

4. 50mg is good for that size of dog.

5. Hi Leelee!
    The dosage for Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) as an antihistamine is 2-4 mg/kg every 8-12 hours by mouth. Thus, you can give up to 3 times daily. Your doggie is 74 lbs = 34 kg. If you go with the low end of the range: 2 mg/kg x 34 kg = 68 mg. If you go with the high end of range: 4 mg/kg x 34 kg = 136 mg. I think Benadryl tablets come in 25mg and 50 mg tablets. For your doggie, if you have the 50 mg tablet, then you can even give 1 and 1/2 tablet (75 mg) up to 2 and 1/2 tablets (125 mg). And as you are noticing, adjust according to how your dog is doing. If you don't like her being too groggy, then cut the dosage, etc.

Just a Disclaimer: I am not a veterinarian... Please never start or continue any veterinary medical treatment/program for your pet without the supervision of your pet's veterinarian. Information I share are my from my experience and knowledge in the profession and only for general information purpose only. They should NEVER replace the advice of your pet's veterinarian.

6. I am sorry this happened to your doggie, Leelee! I hope she feels much better very quickly!

7. Oh, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and concern.

She is such a sweet girl, but right now her tail is a mess! The skin is all bloody and raw. The medicine the vet gave us, plus the Benadryl to stop the itching is really helping. Now it's just a matter of time for it to heal.

I told my precious Nellie she doesn't have to go to the groomer's anymore. I'll just keep her clean as best as I can, maybe with baby wipes or something. She's so elderly now that little things really trouble her.

Thanks again, everyone, for your wisdom and nice thoughts.

8. I wouldn't go over 50mg per dose as that is the normal dose for an adult Human.

It will make her sleepy...Benadryl is what my vet has suggested for my on occassion hyper pooch. Calms him down within 30 minutes.

9. Get her some oatmeal shampoo and wrap her tail in a warm wash cloth dipped in it.
    Also ty some baby aspirin - it worked for my dal who was always an allergic mess!

10. That is good advice about the oatmeal shampoo. Unfortunately it is my fault poor Nellie got this horrible reaction. Our wonderful vet had told me to always request oatmeal shampoo from the groomer (who is also wonderful). The last time I took her in I completely forgot to do so and apparently the groomer forgot that I always ask for this too. So Nellie is suffering. I feel horribly responsible and sad for her.

I do appreciate your advice and will get some baby aspirin to keep on hand.

11. I think that it should be 1 miligram/per pound of the dog's body weight.

Is there a vet clinic you could call to double check the dose? Better to be safe than sorry :smile:

12. The dosage I wrote in earlier post (2-4 mg/kg) is from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, the equivalent to PDR in humans, which comes out to be ~1 mg/lb as Couturegrl wrote. But I agree, I would definitely not try to self-medicate your pets without veterinarian's advise.