How many of you dont knwo how to change a tire??

I have a general concept of how to change a tire but doubt I could actually do it. I have CAA though given that this could happen somewhere totally remote, perhaps I should have someone teach me.

*drive stick - check
*change a tire - nope - I question if I have the strength to loosen lug nuts
*mow the lawn - didn't realize there was a "way" to do this
*know how to relight the pilot light - no way. When my hot water tank went out I called the gas company.

Eh, I've never had to learn. Never gotten a flat tire, but I'm one of those people who likes to take things apart and put them back together. My project this weekend is installing a new dishwasher. I'd probably call AAA if I was desparate though :smile:

ETA:

*drive stick (I can if I have to, but I certainly don't make a habit of it)
*change a tire (Like I said, I'd figure it out)
*mow the lawn (Yup, but I usually make DH do it, as he is a grad student, I work 50 hours a week)
*know how to relight the pilot light (Oh yeah. DH once asked me what a pilot light was. I almost divorced him)

I do know how to change a tire. I think its good to know. I have AAA & I hate them. I can fix a flat & be at my intended destination before they even show up.

I think its good for everyone to know this kind of stuff. By this kind of "stuff" I mean:

*drive stick
*change a tire
*mow the lawn
*know how to relight the pilot light

My mother is in her 50s & cannot do ANY of the above metioned items & a whole lot more. She was okay until her husband left her.:shame:

^^ I guess since my Mom was single, she HAD to know how to do all these things, and taught me:tup:

Drive a Stick: I learned on one and drove it for 2 years, I have an automatic now...but thats just something you dont forget how to do.

Change a Tire: yea, Im the one who started the thread lol!

Mow the lawn: Yup, my Grandpa used to have me out in his 3 acre backyard helping to mow.

Know how to relight the pilot light: I've never had gas, but if I did...I would learn how to do that.

So what are you guys gonna do if you're stranded with a flat, on a back road, and have no cell signal? Who's gonna rescue you then?

I am wondering the same thing:confused1:.
Isnt it a little naive to think someone will always be there?

Do we have the same mom?
LOL! Its amazing but sad that people cannot take care of themselves! My mother calls me to ask me questions about EVERYTHING! She didn't know until recently that having bad credit affects what interest rate you qualify for on a loan?!?! She's 54! Where has she been??????

^^ I guess since my Mom was single, she HAD to know how to do all these things, and taught me:tup:

Drive a Stick: I learned on one and drove it for 2 years, I have an automatic now...but thats just something you dont forget how to do.

Change a Tire: yea, Im the one who started the thread lol!

Mow the lawn: Yup, my Grandpa used to have me out in his 3 acre backyard helping to mow.

Know how to relight the pilot light: I've never had gas, but if I did...I would learn how to do that.

I think that is GREAT! When kids eventually come into the picture for me & DH we have already talked about & agreed that our kids (regardless of sex) wil be taught all this kind of stuff! My daughter WILL mow the lawn. Its not a "boys" job, KWIM?

I am wondering the same thing:confused1:.
Isnt it a little naive to think someone will always be there?[/quote]

mowing the lawn is the only thing I won't do from that list. I know how, but I won't because I'm allergic to grass. I can probably get through a minute of it before I get a sinus headache and sneeze my head off. Other than that, all my cars are stick, I can change a tire, and relight the pilot light. :smile:
I don't blame you for not mowing the lawn! Allergies s*ck!

Now that I think about it... I guess there has always been someone there to pump gas for me. Just last week I was thinking I need to learn how.

I would probably have to hitch hike if I ever got stranded. :wtf:

My parents were big on "traditional" gender roles. I am determined to do better if I have kids.

I had to do it once....like charles said...back road, no cell coverage, the whole thing. I read the book and found the kit and did it myself.

I was pretty excited to find that the cars tool kit had white felt gloves in it, and wipes too.

I finally did it, and I felt pretty good about the whole thing. Someone came by when I was all done and asked if I needed help, it felt good to say, no thanks!!!

If it happened again, I would get my DD to do it. She is 15 and can do anything!!!