How Long Do You Think About it Before . . .

1. Last night, I started to think about spending $8,000 on a particular Hermes bag and wonder how much time I should take to carefully consider the possible purchase. Although I have not saved up for it, I would willingly part with a couple of Hermes bags which would more than cover the cost.

If I take too much time to make my decision, I may miss out on this bag. However, if I act impulsively I may regret this purchase. I resisted the urge to buy it last night, just because I thought I should give an $8,000 item more than a few minutes thought. I should add that I also passed up buying a $5,000 Chanel jacket at Saks on Thursday (bonus card day) that was lovely but not classic enough to justify adding it to my wardrobe.

Oh, and one last concern. I'm increasingly worried about the massive increase in production at Hermes due to their opening so many new stores and the potential drop in quality. The bag in question was made in 2006 and the workmanship is superb. If I pass this one up and place a special order, it might take two to three years, cost more and be of lesser quality.

What to do?
  2. Millstream, I have just been teased by a friend that I make NO post in the Frugal thread so I am probably the least fit to suggest anything sensible!

When it comes to H bags, if it's in a combo that you 100% desire and will make you happy, I say go for it! I have heard too many regretful stories where ladies pass on the bag of their dreams, and then had to wait forever for the next one to come.

Granted that you can place a SO for the bag you want. But who's to know if your taste is still the same 2 - 3 years down the road. I say "seize the day".

PS: sorry, my friend (I know you're reading this) :noggin: :lecture:
  3. Oh, by the way, just to share ... when I take too long to think, I get a knot in my stomach and I won't be able to sleep.
  4. Imagine how you would feel if it was snatched right out from under your nose. :crybaby: Also what might cause you to regret the purchase? With Hermes, it isn't usually hard to find them another loving home, so perhaps you wouldn't be stuck if you did regret buying it. I think give yourself a reasonable amount of time to mull it over, but not too long otherwise you may deliberate too much and still lose out if you decided to take the plunge. Go with your heart and gut.

What is it might I ask?
  5. Charm, I'm afraid to say what it is for fear that it may lead someone to snatch it before I know what I want to do.
  6. For me, if I have to think about it overnight, it is not meant to be.
    I have never passed on anything (Hermes or not Hermes) and gone back to get it later. If I could walk away the first time, I know I didn't want it that badly.
    But relating to Hermes, this may be partly because I don't do SO's. If I see something I like, I have to get it then or I might never see anything like it again.
  7. Yup. If i had to think about the hermes bag, then it's probably not the one for me. All my birkins or kelly purchases (the ones that are not gifts from my DH) were decided there and then.
  8. It's not a question of whether or not I love it, because I do. It's more about spending $8,000 on an unplanned purchase.
  9. If you don't feel good spending that $8000 on that bag, then don't do it...coz you will feel bad having spent $8000 which will take away the enjoyment of the bag. At the end of the day, it's really just a know what I mean.
  10. Roger that MillStream.

Does the thought of owning this bag give you flutters of joy? I suppose too think about selling the other couple of bags which would cover the cost, does the thought of parting with them and having this new baby feel right? I am sorry, it must be hard, but I think go with your gut on this one.
  11. The thought of missing it makes me feel awful. I do think it's one of those great keeper bags, unlike some others in my handbag closet. I've got a couple of highly desirable Kellys, but neither sings to me. Not a note. Sad to say, I'm really a Birkin girl and have found that out by trial and error.
  12. If the Kellys don't sing to you, sell them and get the bag that does! :yes:
  13. It might be an unplanned purchase but is it a bag that you have 'planned for' in a wish list of dream bags? If it is in the style, leather and colour of one of your dream bags, then go for it.

I wonder though, if it isn't just a spontaneous opportunity and not necessarily a bag that would be in your fantasy list or I suspect that you would have already bought it by now, particularly as you are prepared to part with other bags to finance it.

Another factor is the quiet panic you have with Hermes of grabbing the opportunity simply because you can, the bags are so few and far between but for that amount of money it has to be true love and not lust disguised as love, LOL

I have bought two bags spontaneously as a snap decision in 2 separate stores when I was there just to browse, but looking back, they were sort of planned really, both the bags were on my wish list and the store just happened to have them in stock when I was discussing them, they weren't even on display.

It's a tough call but I think I would 'pass' this time.

(But if you buy, please post lots of pics)
  14. Sometimes, when you have all the funds ready to purchase a bag, there is no bag in sight. Then what do you do? Regret in buying 'fillers'? This has happened to too many people unfortunately.

What I would suggest is, get this bag if it sings to you. And then put up your Kellys for sale.
  15. see i just went through this. though i have never had a hermes bag before. i wanted that kelly so badly but i just could not bring myself to throw down my cc and spend 6k. and now, looking back, i should have. it would have been hard and i would have felt guilty but i would have found a way to make it right. and now the bag is gone and i think about it all the time. i should have bought it and i know it. though i think things happen for a reason. i too would have sold off other bags to buy it and i couldn't bring myself to do that either but i would have in the end to have the bag i truly knew i wanted more.

maybe you should go back and see it again....