How important is drinking lots of water...really?

1. Prior to a few days ago...I couldn't have told you the last time I had a drink, let alone glasses.
    I've heard conflicting reports the last few years. 8/day is not neccessary vs. HAS to be water vs. any beverage really will do...even if it's caffinated.
    I typically drink 2 cups of coffee...then diet coke all day.
    I'm not looking to stop soda as that's not realistic or a desire... but I think I'd like to narrow it to one a day or less and am testing the 'water is good theory' by trying to drink at least some/per day. (I'm such a rebel :smile:.)
  2. I´ve heard practically from everywhere that water is really important since it helps with digestion, detoxes the body etc. I drink 4 large glasses a day.
  3. I currently drink around 5 litres a day, but then, I'm pregnant & have bad heartburn & find this is the best method for me! However, I can totally, utterly scream from the roof tops the importance of drinking water. I never used to drink enough then a year or so ago I made myself drink at least a litre a day, my skin got better, (more elastic & clearer, & it started to have a healthy glow) my body could digest food better & probably most of all I foudn I lost weight as I was filling up on water, i was less hungry so no snacking! yeah!
  4. I'm not sure that everyone needs the same amount of water per day. I think I need more than the average person. I probably drink a gallon or more a day. This sounds like a lot, but I find it helpful in keeping my skin healthy, digestion, hydrating my muscles (I exercise a lot) and of course quenching thirst.

I know a lot of people who don't drink nearly as much as I do, and they don't have any problems.
  5. I guess I'm kind of doing a test myself, to see if my skin improves, my joints don't hurt, etc. I'm def. a good example as i've gone a few years w/out drinking it. I think after nursing my 3rd I was so sick of making myself drink so much all day that when I was done, I quit the water drinking as well. My skin is very dry and I had a weird hormone change after my first was born, causing painful comes and goes.
  6. I have heard that drinking coke can contribute to back pain. I'm not making this up...maybe painful joints could be helped by water as well. I would say its fantastic, but its all I've ever drank, so I wouldn't know how my body functions only on coke.
    I'm willing to make a bet that you will see improvements though.
  7. there's a really great thread about this already, I'll try and find it.
    But just so you know, caffeine is a diuretic, so if you're drinking coffee, tea or cokes, you're actually depleting your body's water, you need MORE water if you drink caffeine.
    Also, all carbonated beverages contribute to osteoporosis.
    It has a plethora of serious benefits, some great cosmetic ones as well like improving skin and muscle tone.
  8. Yep, we did have good threads on this. Drinking good amounts of water has been a practiced used in Eastern world for a long time and since our body is composed of so much water, it is very important to get proper water intake in my opinion.

Try just keeping a bottle with you and sipping on it all day. By bottle, I don't mean 10 oz, preferably a bigger one :yes:
  9. Thanks ladies...I did a search for 'drinking water' but it came back w/nothing. I'll read that thread over. I don't know why I'm so resistant to drink it.
  10. i switched to drinking just about only water (i'm up to about 3 bottles a day) (maybe a glass or two of juice or soda/week) and didn't really notice a difference in skin or anything. but this thread made me realize i think it helped my digestive system, i just didn't connect the two until now. interesting.
  11. I now drink a lot of water and if I don't get enough I feel dehydrated. I drink soda too but not nearly like I used to. I used to drink Diet Coke all day with occasional water and now it's the opposite. I don't know how exactly it makes a difference but I just know I actually like drinking it now.
  12. WHOA! I cannot imagine drinking no water for years!!! Holy crap, all I drink is water and if I am thirsty there is NOTHING else I want!

I probably drink about 3 litres a day.

Maybe start with just one glass per day and one less soda a day and see how that goes.
  13. Based on the fact that your body is 70% water I think sufficient water/fluid intake is crucial. I usually drink a half liter bottle in the morning before breakfast, then I usually consume 1 liter at work and then another half liter at night. For whatever reason I like keeping track of the amount of water I drink, which is why I love bottled water.

Definitely start drinking more water. It'll be good for and your body will thank you for it!
  14. I buy a gallon of water each week and keep it under my desk. I find myself drinking it a lot more now.