How I Met Your Mother

http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-pri...t-your-mothers-ending-and-why-theyre-invalid/

This article was good and put some things into perspective. I personally found the finale fitting for the series.

(also, i apologize, I don't know how to put a preview of the article in the post)

Indeed, perfect article!

People have been complaining about the title now that they've seen the finale because it's not about meeting the mother, it's about getting permission to ask Robin out.
I once came across these (I think) 9gag pictures about how some tv shows should have different names. For instance Gossip Girl should've been named 'Spoiled rich kids in the Upper East Side'. The two about Himym were 'How I did everything else besides meeting your mother' and 'How I slept with everyone else before meeting your mother'.
I think that if we are getting mad over the show's title, we should've been 'mad' for 9 years, because we already knew for 9 years that title doesn't cover what the show is about.

There will always be people who don't like the finale. I loved it. But I hated Will & Grace's finale, and Seinfeld's last episode didn't make any sense in my opinion.

I didn't hate the finale. I actually liked it for the most part. It was the very end, the last few minutes I really hated. I agree - the shows title has a lot to do with that. But aside from that, so much emphasis had been put on Ted meeting "the mother" and this season (aside from dragging out Barney & Robin's failed marriage) was a build up to that moment. We got to know the mother, her backstory. We saw each character meet the mother and we got these glimpses into Ted's future with her. And then we had that final line, "And that kids, is how I met your mother"

I just found the whole scene with the kids corny and unbelievable (altho much of this show was unbelievable). They built up this story of his telling the kids, and we finally got that great payoff on the train platform. If they wanted to give Ted another chance at love with Robin, there were other ways they could have done it. He could have said (to the kids), "Now that you know how your mother and I met, and what we went through to be together, you must know how much I love her, which makes this a little harder - would you be upset if I moved on?" It could have been Ted explaining to his kids why he wants this chance with Robin. How he always loved her, but the timing was never right. That it doesn't diminish the love he had for their mother, it only made him treasure it that much more because she gave him all the things (Aunt) Robin never could. I think having the kids tell Ted that the story wasn't actually about his meeting the mother, that it was actually a story about their dads love for another woman was the worst and hardest to swallow. If that had been written differently, perhaps I wouldn't have hated it (the ending) so much.

Someone has posted a fan made alternate ending on Vimeo that is so perfect that I'd rather believe it is the real way the show ended. Watched it with my bf and I cried for almost 10 min afterwards. That end song and the scene on the train platform...so beautiful. 😭

Www.Vimeo.com/90965437

I think most series finales are disappointing. We always want our characters to live happily ever after, still sitting in the coffee bar even after we turn off the TV but it rarely is the case. Sex and the City is one exception that comes to mind of a satisfying ending.

Most series finales kill off a character, have a main character move, or change the established dynamic (Will & Grace), or don't get the couple you have been rooting for back together. Or the final episode, like HIMYM, does not fit the comedic tone of the series by what happened to the mother.

I know I'm 6 months late to the party, but I just binge watched all 9 seasons of HIMYM. I loved the series as a whole, but was very disappointed in the ending. If they had left everything as is, everyone would have their happy ending, even if some wouldn't be happy endings by our standards. (Barney single again, Robin single and a international news reporter)

Just binged watched HIMYM and called the ending pretty much mid 9th season. Had a gut feeling Mom was gonna die and that locket thing with Robyn was a real tip off. When he still hadn't married the mom after kid number two I KNEW THEN AND THERE this story is going in a predictable direction. I was actually okay with the ending. The mom had been dead for 6 years and the kids were ready for pops to have a GF. Cheesy? a little but remember they filmed those kid scenes back in season one and hindsight is always 20/20/