how fast can you run a mile?

1. How fast can you run a mile? I'm in a decent shape but started getting into running several months ago and was just curious.

2. I usually can run a mile in less than 10 mins.

3. on a treadmill, about 11 minutes. If I'm doing a 5k, I average about 9:45/mile.

4. I can run a mile over a period of about a month, I think...and I get out of breath just THINKING about it.

5. 6-7 minutes...I used to run long distance track!

6. If I run for speed, like to beat my best time, I usually do a 9-minute mile. If it's for distance, on a longer run, it's closer to a 10-minute mile.

7. LOL. Same here! My best time in high school was 9 mins and that was when I was in shape. :rolleyes:

8. 8-9 minutes? we are actually running the mile on wednesday at school!!!!

9. 8 min. Ish.

10. I'm a runner (just in the last 4-5 years, never in school) but distance is more my thing. I've never clocked myself all out for just 1 mile but when I was in my best running shape back in 2004, probably around 6:20ish... Now average about 7:45-8:00 on most normal runs. Racing a 10K, maybe about 7 now.

It's been a looooong recovery from an injury but I'm doing my first half marathon since 2005 in October. I haven't trained too much for speed, just using it as an excuse to go to San Fran for the weekend (never been) and get the Tiffany trinket for completing the race.

Bottom line though, when just running for exercise, I just recommend running at a comfortable pace just not too comfortable... it's different for everyone and it's more important to stick with it as your time will improve the more you run.

11. 10 minutes - ish. Working on distance running. :yes:

12. about 9 minutes, but I can't keep that pace for more than 3 miles.

13. I don't run lol

14. thanks everyone :cutesy:

15. Now 8 minute mile.

I ran it faster when I was younger.