How do you refrain from buying?? And stay on ban?

I tried to do a ban but I just am not good at it. So my solution was to agree with my dh on a number of bags that we both felt was reasonable (currently 10) and whatever new bags I bought would be purchased with money from selling off bags that I currently own or are gifts. I'm at 8 bags now; my last 2 purchases were from a sale of an Anna Corinna bag. Now I need to hold off on buying any more so that I can buy a couple of bags when we get to travel down south for a couple of weeks. So far it's working and we're both satisfied! There is currently no limit on accessories though! :graucho:

I tried to do a ban but I just am not good at it. So my solution was to agree with my dh on a number of bags that we both felt was reasonable (currently 10) and whatever new bags I bought would be purchased with money from selling off bags that I currently own or are gifts. I'm at 8 bags now; my last 2 purchases were from a sale of an Anna Corinna bag. Now I need to hold off on buying any more so that I can buy a couple of bags when we get to travel down south for a couple of weeks. So far it's working and we're both satisfied! There is currently no limit on accessories though! :graucho:

Accessories are much easier to sneak in! They are a good pick me up between those larger purchase too.

I just try to think of what else I could be spending the money on. Right now, I'm saving for two vacations (although I did get a little sidetracked :biggrin:), but even if I break my ban, I always try to rationalize it. Is it something I will be thinking about months from now if I don't buy it at this point and may not pop up again (as was the bag I just bought) or is it something eventually I will tire of and sell (which I have the tendency to do :roflmfao:). I am REALLY trying to just buy things I really really will enjoy for years to come. I am trying to stick to the list in my sig!

Also, having little money helps :biggrin: as does having little time (I work & go to grad school and am gone usually 12 hrs. a day). I don't/can't use credit cards, so if I don't have the cash, I don't get it. And as I am running out of bags to sell (that I've tired of, etc), I am running out of my $$!

I just try to think of what else I could be spending the money on. Right now, I'm saving for two vacations (although I did get a little sidetracked :biggrin:), but even if I break my ban, I always try to rationalize it. Is it something I will be thinking about months from now if I don't buy it at this point and may not pop up again (as was the bag I just bought) or is it something eventually I will tire of and sell (which I have the tendency to do :roflmfao:). I am REALLY trying to just buy things I really really will enjoy for years to come.

Thats great! Sometimes if I just wait for a few days, I will find that I don't really want the item afterall. The past week alone, I have contemplated the pond shoulder, a beaded tote, a legacy satchel, an amethyst suede bag (someone mentioned they got one) ...

All of these are good ideas!

I think I am coming up with a plan... in addition to trying to have restraint and give myself certain parameters to stay within - I think I am going to go with the "certain number of bags" policy and try to do a "one in, one out" going...

There were a few Coach items I was "saving" in case my niece decided to get into handbags... but quite honestly, I am never probably going to use them... and I don't think fashion is going to be her thing quite yet, so it's time to sell.

I appreciate everyone's perspectives!! They are really helping... and I like the idea of accesories not being limited... hmmm... I need to beef that area of my collection up anyhow.

Instead of an all out ban. Maybe for every new coach bag/item you purchase you can donate one or two, of your "older" coach bag(s)/item(s) to charity? Or give them to a friend or relative that will take good care of it. So you are treating yourself and doing something good. And it will help with your purchasing because before you buy another item you'll be forced to figure out which item to part with, and if you can't figure it out before you purcahse then don't purchase.