how do you line under your eyes and not have it look stupid?

I like the upper lid lined and smudged until softened. If I do under the lashes, I do the corners and use a softer colored pencil or eye shadow. I think lined upper eyes and no under eye line can be really flattering though because not only is it softer looking but it brings everything "up" on the face. And as we age, we want up not down!

Pupsterpurse said:
Yes, I recommend dotting. Just use a soft pencil and dot at the base of your lashes and then you can smudge them with a fine angled liner brush or a brush with a precision point(like the white goat hair MAC brush--I can't remember the number now. lol. I think it's #219 or 217 something like that). It makes your lashes look thicker and defines your lower line w/o looking harsh. I usually just do the outer half.

I agree with the dotting technique. The results will vary depending on the shape of your eye/lower eyelid and the thickness of your lower lashes.

I also like to focus on just the outer halves of my lower lids, if I even line there at all [i always do the top lids with Benefit Bad Gal black liner]. Start about halfway under the eye and gradually thicknen it to the outer corner. I have to set mine with a little bit of loose powder otherwise it will smear during the day.

Inside the lower eyelids? Well, I used to be really good at that as a teen, but now for some reason my eyes 'reject' liner there and I end up with dark "eye boogers," meaning that 'sleep' in your eyes gets colored from the liner. Yuk. :yucky:

Hope this helps! :flowers:

I think it's OK if applied right. and I think the color on the bottom should be different than the color on the top

I use a mac pencil brush, it's not angled and it's mainly to apply eyeshadow like eyeliner... it's so easy with that brush.

some people can pull it off perfectly. it also depends on your eye shape and im guessing the depth of their eye socket and other stuff. i dunno. that's my excuse for looking horrid with eyeliner under my eyes

Colorstay never worked well under my eyes-try a different liner, WNTW's Carmindy recommended Sue Devitt to me-she is really nice and will answer your makeup questions go to carmindy.com and click "contact" I am one who lines inside with medium brown because I have large eyes and was considering getting it tattooed on-still may but she gave a convincing argument not to.

Pupsterpurse said:
Yes, I recommend dotting. Just use a soft pencil and dot at the base of your lashes and then you can smudge them with a fine angled liner brush or a brush with a precision point(like the white goat hair MAC brush--I can't remember the number now. lol. I think it's #219 or 217 something like that). It makes your lashes look thicker and defines your lower line w/o looking harsh. I usually just do the outer half.

This is exactly what I do and everyone always says my eyes are pretty! :yes:

I use a brown eye shadow (even though I line my upper lasher with balck liner and wear black mascara) withh an angled brush and fluff the outer corners of my eyes aswell. The powder stays on longer and looks less harsh.

like some of the girls say, i actually prefer using a bit of really soft eye liner pencil on the outer half of my lower eyelid (partially because there aren't any lashes on the other half =( ....

A thin eyeliner pencil can turn out too harsh and drawingish - try a BLUNTISH THICK SOFT eyeliner (such as Chanel - I use evergreen - I don't recommend using black), and softly do the outer lower lid as close as the skin can touch the eye. - smudge to blend =0

I often ended up with raccoon eyes, so I've stopped... what I've tried with more success was a powder pencil in dark turquoise (with dark brown eyes), lining the outer half of the eyes and not connecting the lower line to the line of the upper eye line part, so there's a gap at the outer end of the eye. The eyes looks bigger that way. But I'm not an expert LOL :smile:

i use a thick black eye liner fat pencil, i love it smudgey and not sharp!!! absolutely feel naked if i don't line by bottom, i feel it makes my eyes larger and more defined. then brush mascara for the long bottom lashes! draw thicker on the sides after some eyeshadow as well.

Also, if you use a stiff flat brush with an eye shadow as liner, you can wet the brush slightly for a more lasting effect. Works well!

I use a flat brush from Smashbox along with the little pot of black liner in Smashing Caviar and just gently brush it under my lashes as close as I can get it. Then I put a tiny bit of white shimmer shadow over top of it so the line isn't as harsh.