How do you know when it's time to replace your car?

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have a 2000 toyota camry with 240,000 miles and I'm thinking about replacing it. My car tends to turn off after I start the car. I had to go by Toyota more than once to two different dealerships in order to get the problem figured out. They said that the alternator needs to be replaced and the Idle Air Control Valve is what is causing my car to turn off. Thank you

Toyotas are very reliable and will last a long time with regular maintenance. Did the dealers give you estimates for the repairs? Are the estimated costs greater than the car's value (check Kelly Blue Book kbb.org for example). If so, you may want to think about replacing it. If not, is it worth it to you to have the repairs done and keep the car for a while longer?

I'm trying to figure out what the alternator has to do with your IAC valve. The alternator basically supplies electricity for the car while it's running and keeps the battery charged. If the alternator is bad, the car won't run, nor start. Is that happening or is it just stalling out when you come to a traffic light or stop sign? The IAC valve def could be the reason it's stalling. I'd ask specifically what the alternator has to do with your problems.
Also, $1600 to replace the alternator and IAC??? That's WAY too much. An alternator costs like $100 and the IAC is ~$200. The alternator takes all of 15 minutes to remove. It's literally one long bolt that secures it and allows it to pivot up and down (to tighten the accessory drive belts), and a couple of bolts used to adjust the tension. Someone with zero experience could remove and replace it in an hour. There are YouTube tutorials for this. My ex had a 99 Camry that had a bad alternator, so I'm familiar with the process. So for that alone, it should cost no more than $300-350, depending on their hourly labor rates.
As for the IAC, a lot of times you can clean it and that will fix the problem. Not sure if you're up for that, but there are YouTube vids to instruct. If it IS bad and needs to be replaced, that takes about 30 minutes to remove and replace. So an hour of labor + the part cost. If both need to be replaced, your bill should be no more than $800. If you, or a friend, is somewhat mechanically inclined, and has basic tools, it's a very straight forward process and will save you $300-400 in labor.

When the tyres need changing :lolots: No seriously... which is at about 3-4 years.

+1

i give them up pretty much about this time.i don't want to be bothered with any repairs at all. just a new car for me.

i would never even get close to 240K miles... didn't even know that was possible or that people would drive something into the ground like that. it must be a junker by now:P

+1

i give them up pretty much about this time.i don't want to be bothered with any repairs at all. just a new car for me.

i would never even get close to 240K miles... didn't even know that was possible or that people would drive something into the ground like that. it must be a junker by now:P

Haha. Actually she looks pretty good. But I don't think I will buy another Toyota again. Their service repair people are liars. I got a second opinion and there was a bolt loose on the inside of my alternator and the throttle body needed to be service. And it only cost me $95.00. Vs Toyota price quote of 1300.00

Toyotas are very reliable and will last a long time with regular maintenance. Did the dealers give you estimates for the repairs? Are the estimated costs greater than the car's value (check Kelly Blue Book kbb.org for example). If so, you may want to think about replacing it. If not, is it worth it to you to have the repairs done and keep the car for a while longer?
Yes like 1400.00 after taxes.

+1

duplicate post

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what the alternator has to do with your IAC valve. The alternator basically supplies electricity for the car while it's running and keeps the battery charged. If the alternator is bad, the car won't run, nor start. Is that happening or is it just stalling out when you come to a traffic light or stop sign? The IAC valve def could be the reason it's stalling. I'd ask specifically what the alternator has to do with your problems.
Also, $1600 to replace the alternator and IAC??? That's WAY too much. An alternator costs like $100 and the IAC is ~$200. The alternator takes all of 15 minutes to remove. It's literally one long bolt that secures it and allows it to pivot up and down (to tighten the accessory drive belts), and a couple of bolts used to adjust the tension. Someone with zero experience could remove and replace it in an hour. There are YouTube tutorials for this. My ex had a 99 Camry that had a bad alternator, so I'm familiar with the process. So for that alone, it should cost no more than $300-350, depending on their hourly labor rates.
As for the IAC, a lot of times you can clean it and that will fix the problem. Not sure if you're up for that, but there are YouTube vids to instruct. If it IS bad and needs to be replaced, that takes about 30 minutes to remove and replace. So an hour of labor + the part cost. If both need to be replaced, your bill should be no more than $800. If you, or a friend, is somewhat mechanically inclined, and has basic tools, it's a very straight forward process and will save you $300-400 in labor.
BTW $200 is to replace to light bulb for the dashboard that are out.
There was a loose bolt on my alternator. The throttle body was serviced and my second opinion mechanic $95.00. He said to drive it and see if it happens again then bring it back to him. But you're right if the alternator is bad the car will not go. ICA just Needs to be clean. I just found that out this pass Tuesday. I'm not too sure if I will buy another Toyota after this situation. Thank you so kindly. Can you recommend a good car knowledge repair book ? Thank you.

Well that's good news! I never take my car to the dealer unless I have to. I've found a reputable mechanic that specializes in German cars, so I go there. I also do a bit of research prior to taking it in so I have an idea of what's going on.
Don't be afraid to ask "Can you explain that to me?" A good mechanic will go into detail and describe what does what and why it's broken. Actually, most mechanics enjoy sharing knowledge with people who show interest.

Well that's good news! I never take my car to the dealer unless I have to. I've found a reputable mechanic that specializes in German cars, so I go there. I also do a bit of research prior to taking it in so I have an idea of what's going on.
Don't be afraid to ask "Can you explain that to me?" A good mechanic will go into detail and describe what does what and why it's broken. Actually, most mechanics enjoy sharing knowledge with people who show interest.

Thanks Charles. Will do. I appreciate all of your help and everyone else's too