How do you know when a Thing becomes Junk? (and what do you do after that??)

1. So how do you know when something is officially Junk??

examples: candles that came in a fancy ($35) jar that are now burned down and I don't want to clean them but I feel guilty throwing them away??

or an old camera that takes *film* but still works perfectly fine??

or an old pair of embossed leather Cole Haan flats that I should just wear but I don't wanna and they aren't good enough to sell, but too good to just give away??

When does a thing become junk?
    And what do you do with it when you don't want it anymore??? :sos:

2. If the candle jar doesn't have any burn marks I would just put a bunch of water in it and soak it. I would keep the camera. Can you clean the shoes and sell them to a consignment shop or something? Usually when I am tired of something or it breaks, I consider it junk. I give it to Goodwill or something. My stepmother's friend recently took some of my stuff that I didn't want anymore and is selling it at a garage sale and donating the profits to a place that helps animals.

3. I am working on this, because normally I would keep all these things....but I am trying hard to stop being a pack rat. So anything that might be worth something to someone, I give away. If not, a trash it!

I like career closet for clothes and my stuff. Homless shelters for kids stuff. Animal shelters for blankets. Goodwill for anything else.

4. Awesome!

I always feel like I miss the boat on items that I could sel, but in the long run it's not worth my time mostly.

5. I determine junk by how often its used or needed. I don't use/need it, it will get donated, given away, or tossed.

I don't feel guilty when I get rid of things. If I find a need for it in the future, I'll get something better. Out with the old, In with the new.

6. My mom is a total packrat so I tend to be the opposite. If I don't use something and it's not collectible (like grandmother's jewelry or something) I either trash it or donate it or sell it.

7. I am a pack rat and get emotionally attached to anything really, it's quite sad. I have a storage room with my kids old toys , my old clothes, old furniture, kid's clothes, I kept a new diaper from both my childrens first pack of diapers. A few articles of clothing that belonged to my husband because i have a fond memory attached to it. I could go on.

8. I donate stuff to various places. Both of my parents let me know when they're going to have a pick up, and I'll drop stuff off ahead of time. Sometimes it takes me a little while to completely let go and I'll put something away into a closet or something... I figure if I haven't touched it in a few months or had any use for it, then it just needs to go. Seriously, you'll feel so much better just getting rid of it all! Sometimes you get rid of perfectly good things, but if they're not useful to you and just taking up space, then donate them and see if they're useful to someone else.

9. if i havent touched it in a year, i try to get rid of it. doesnt work too well though. :o

10. when you're not using it anymore! And it stays in your shelf more than anything else in this world. I'd still keep it or hand it over to my younger sister!

11. Or for ugly clothes already, there's a clothes recycle bin downstairs (of our apartment) i can always put them there for others to use!

12. If you have to ask yourself if it is junk it is. There is so much freedom in getting away from the clutter. I am trying to do this but live with a pack rat......baby steps.... If I don't use it out it goes, but there are great organizations to give the stuff too. So I know it is going to a place where someone else might actually use it or need it.

13. I used to hold on to everthing too. Then one day I got sick of all the crap I had and went on a throw everything away rampage. My philosophy now is if I won't wear it this very second then out it goes.

14. examples: candles that came in a fancy ($35) jar that are now burned down and I don't want to clean them but I feel guilty throwing them away??
    • Just because it's a gift doesn't mean you have to keep it. Throw it away.
    or an old camera that takes *film* but still works perfectly fine??
    or an old pair of embossed leather Cole Haan flats that I should just wear but I don't wanna and they aren't good enough to sell, but too good to just give away??
    • Give to a women's shelter or an organization that helps outfit women seeking employment.

15. I actually do this every two months!! (but not with my handbags!! :graucho: )