How do you keep your cashmere from pilling?

my experience as a buyer and designer of cashmere is good quality cashmere does not pill because its all about the natural length of the staple which combed out of the animal at its full grown length of the hair.
short staples mostly used in the majority of cashmere are shorn off the animal and more often and so a shorter length more likely with abrasion it will poke out and with friction ball into a pill.
sometimes in the process also lower quality cashmere is contrived to be softer by a process called razing which is a brushing or fluffing. this will also increase the potential to pill.
Freezing i couldnt imagine would have any effect? that is usually used to kill moth eggs and so prevent holes.

the only way to correct pils would be removing them with a razer, pulling them off.
so as with good wine you get what you pay for.
a good quality cashmere sweater usually costs between $300-500
however knits are yarns and anything rubbing against them that have a rough surface will cause the hairs to break and so pill.
keep your velcro and spikey accessories away from your sweaters. rough handbags ect.
wash them in a delicate nondetergent soap and treat as you would your hair, it will improve with age that way dry cleaning knocks the life out of them.!
best Jill

I have never had problems with any of my cashmere pieces pilling.
Do you take it straight to the dry cleaners before you wear it?

I've learned to hand wash all of my clothes, yet I've never encountered the pilling problem.

After you hand wash your cashmere, DON'T wring it; gently squeeze the water out and lay a big bath towel on top of your iron board. Place the wet cashmere on top and roll the towel up with the sweater so that it "sucks up" excess water. After you roll it and hold it for a couple seconds, your cashmere should just be damp. Replace the towel to a new one, and let the cashmere dry (no rolling necessary).

I have done this for many years, and my cashmere pieces are all good as new!

I personally prefer it this way as I've had so many rough situations at the dry cleaners that I'm simply fed up with them. On top of that, they use toxic chemicals so that was a major turn off too!

I wash absolutely EVERYTHING at home. It's totally do-able!

Hope this helps :biggrin:

I know this is an old thread but I'm glad someone brought it up. Lately I've been thinking about giving up on cashmere as much as I love the softness. I don't pay the super big bucks for my cashmere but I think the Vince sweater I paid $300 for should last for more than 6 months of lights wear without looking like I bought it from the thrift store. I just might try your tricks but it seems my cashmere pills from the actual wearing process and less so the washing.

bumping. is using cashmere comb more effective than a sweater razor? i have a marni sweater that has piled horribly, wonder if a comb will be effective or if I will have to use a shaver. worried about ripping a hole though!

Do you have to put it in the freezer the night before before every single use?

The salesperson at J. Crew gave me a tip yesterday. She said I should put my new cashmere sweater in a ziplock bag, and then put the bag in the freezer for a day. She said I could wear the sweater the next day, and it should not pill. Sounds crazy, but I'm so fed up with my cashmere sweaters pilling after a wear or two, that I'm thinking about trying it. Before I get freezer-happy, tell me... how do you keep your sweaters from pilling?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but what is this shaver everyone is talking about? Any pics?

i use the evercare fabric shaver. it works really well too.

210CHV9357L._SL500_AA200_.jpg