How do you get into the "real world"?

1. How do you get into the real world-- after college, or during college for an internship?

I was just curious because I am so deathly intimidated and I feel like I'm not cut out for anything. I feel like I can't -do- anything, but in all honesty, no I'm not clueless.

Anyway, are places okay with the fact that you're a beginner? Or do you really need years of experience to get in anywhere, even if that's the job you want? I've talked to the instructors at my college, but I want to know what it's like for everyone else just for more information. The answers from my instructors was some not so helpful things-- I can't believe them that I'd just be okay. I want to know more.

Such as, were you also intimidated, and what was your first job after college like? I look forward to getting a lot of different answers!

I'm going to an art college and am going to be an art director. 1 year left and I have changed to this for what to do, so no internship for this yet.
  2. My sis was an art director at a major TV station. She did her dues at lower level (local) stations. Expect to do your dues whereever you go.. but colleges should line up entry level jobs. And Entry level means Entry level. You just need the brains to do it. That's it and it worked for me with my me degree. You will be fine!!
  3. You should really focus on talking to professors but also most campuses have career connections centers. Go check one out and see if they can help you!! And just breathe... you will be fine- everyone ge3ts a little worried at that time in life :yes:
  4. I majored in Elementary Education. I was a substitute teacher and worked at a grocery store at night for almost two years before I got my first teaching job. I learned a lot during that period, and I also made a few helpful contacts, like the superintendent for a school system that I had never intended to apply for. That contact came at the grocery store in casual conversation with a customer (the superintendent - I didn't know that's what he did for a living!)

It's scary because you have to put yourself out there and sell yourself, but you can do it. Be ready to be the newbie for a while. Once you gain experience, your confidence will build and you'll be ready for anything!!
  5. One of my course requirement was a 1 month internship. What I did was to take a 5 month internship, met my course requirement, and still kept the internship even after I'd graduated.

I believe that gave me a heads up when looking for my first job cos I had that 5 months of "experience" versus my other fresh grad school mates, who of course thought I was nuts to stick with a low paying internship while they were already looking for jobs.

At the end of the day, I got a job real quick - less than a month of working, while a couple of them were stuck looking for 3 months or more. :p
  6. That's what makes me so scared is because first I wanted to be an illustrator, but now I want to be an art director and it's really more me-- but I've only just begun looking. I'm afraid to have to show my resume. I'm afraid also of what work to show because I've only just begun the graphic design aspect though I've taken classes already.

I sent an E-Mail to the woman who works with students for internships with these same concerns, but I got an auto message that she'll not be back until mid next week. I'm sooo nervous about it. I might only get a couple of months experience... My problem is I really want to be able to jump right in and be making the money right away but I don't know if that's unreasonable ...

Thanks so much for replies! I was really curious what other people thought and how they did it, thank you!
  7. These are very normal worries! Everyone has to start out somewhere, and every employer out there knows that. Remember this: your employer will NOT expect you to know everything and to be perfect at what you do! This will help you take all that unnecessary pressure off yourself.

My advice is to accept that you're going to feel very junior and inexperienced at the beginning but be confident in your ability to learn, also don't act like you know more than you do, ask LOTS of questions, and soak everything in like a sponge. :smile: Oh, and be prepared to do some tedious sh!t work too in the beginning, and don't take it personally when it's asked of you. (aka "paying your dues") The junior kid on the ladder will ALWAYS be asked to do things that they might consider to be "beneath them" from time to time. As long as it doesn't become a frequent request, just deal with it as best you can and look to the future. It won't be that way forever! We've all been there, too!

ETA: internships are great for getting your feet wet, and are also appealing to potential employers. Even if they're just short weeks or months-long projects, they are valuable experiences and are totally worth trying for during college!
  8. well i started off in interior design school at the art's institute here in orange county, and paid my dues working in interns and such here and there. then landed a sales associate job at restoration hardware that was opening as the Southern California flagship location.. did that for a year and half and now i'm the visuals manager (merchandising manager is the technical industry term) for the store.

depending on the company, some prefer you to have tons of experience.. a degree may not even matter to them.. as with experience comes more knowledge about the industry/career field than from a degree could provide..

and some companies prefer a beginner fresh out of college with a degree because they feel the school taught them the latest and greatest in that particular field, and that the noob may share some fresh ideas/etc/insight about something that would be a nice change for once.

good luck on taking on the real world. it sucks.
  9. I am on the same boat... heck, a fresh graduate with a Ph.D. and have sent out several resumes to multiple offices yet I haven't heard back (oki, I'll be honest, I started sending out the resumes last Thursday) but still...... although I do not have a license yet to be a licensed psychologist, I can do lots of things... and unfortunately, most mental health jobs where I am from want someone with a license.. now, how will I get the license if I am not given the chance............ so now, still applying and hoping that I get a job soon but sometimes, you do wonder, you get all this degree, and then what? what's next? where is that job that is supposed to wait for me.... I guess, that is just not gonna happen nowadays...
  10. I think being realistic helps. I majored in art history and English literature... was there any way I could get into finance? Maybe a slim 0.5% chance. I think the most important thing is getting your foot in the door (maybe just in an internship) and demonstrating a sincere work ethic. The willingness and desire to learn really does impress people!
  11. Are you thinking of going the ad agency route? I've been in the field for 15+ years and this might be a good fit for you, especially if you're near a metropolitan area where there are a lot of agencies.
  12. Yes, I want to go into an ad agency. I'm in the Boston area and there seems to be a lot of different places I can go to even out of Boston.
    Do you know if that's something you can jump right into with only an internship for experience?
  13. i was in graphic design major, and on my 3rd year i went on an intership in a quite big advertising agency... it was great, i happen to work under a very helpful and trusting superior. he taught me a lot, he gave me lots of works to do instead of just doing photo copy or scanning like most of my friends seem to had.
    after graduated, he called me to work with him. and i go straight to work within my 2nd week after my final tests.

i'm working there as an art director for 2 years before quit to do some freelancing.
    i happen to love to work in production more than in agency. and i met a lot of people and make links to production houses and ad agencies.
    i've been freelancing in couple of agencies for a few months before i started to do more production jobs and now i'm working as a freelance producer and fashion stylists at production houses for TVC and music video :p

i think it helps for you to do internships and work in big companies first to know what ur true interests are...
  14. You will be fine, you've got some great advice here!
  15. wow that's awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking to do. But how did you find out about the other jobs? That's something that intimidates me too is people start off as one thing that they loved... but then go to bigger and greater things they love even more. Do you just find out about other possible jobs through what you do? Is that inevitable, or did you do separate searching? I know the two aren't far off but I'm curious.

I do have a question about the job itself if you don't mind me asking... what kind of hours do you work? My instructor told me it's a M-F job, usually 8 to 5-ish. I'm just curious how my life will be like HOPEFULLY in a year from now haha.

Im really happy I asked this! Thank you everyone so much for responding!