How do you feel when friends "copy" you..?

It doesn't really bother me, as others have said. . . "Imitation is another form of flattery". But, I do want to add in that I do have a friend who recently started getting into designer jeans - she was never into them and used to gag at spending that much money. Now, she's wearing them and the only thing that bothers me is that she looks much better in them than I do! Oh, if only I had her "genes"! :roflmfao: Oh . . . I crack myself up!

For the last two years, I would go on and on to my best friend about how badly I wanted the brown fabric Gucci pelham bag. At that time, I really couldn't afford to spend that much money on a bag, but I always said that one day I would save up the cash and buy it. Well, about a year later (during which I mentioned that bag almost every day), I was on the phone with her and this is what she said, "Hey guess what I just bought. You know that really gorgeous Gucci with the braided handles. The store just called me and told me they received one today, so I ran to the mall to buy it. It's so beautiful, you should see it." WHAT? YOU SHOULD SEE IT? How could she say that to me! She described the bag like I didn't know which one she was talking about. I was so furious. I had never, nor since then, ever been that mad at her. I didn't talk to her for about a week, and finally told her that I was upset. She said to me, "Well, I didn't think you were going to buy it." But she knew that I was going to once I saved some money. This was about a year ago, and since then, I bought the smaller black Guccissima leather version (which I love way more than the larger brown fabric one). But I still feel a little bit of anger every time I see her carry it. Which is another thing, she carries that bag every day, all of the time, where ever we go. So unless we want to look ridiculous carrying the same bag, that means I can never wear mine. This really frustrates me also.

In general, I don't really mind if a friend copies me. It only really bothers me when they act like they discovered the trend/item, and tell me about it like I've never heard of it before.

my 2 best frens own black birkin 35 w/GH (all in togo) & black quilted chanel 2.55. i'm happy and feel flattered. i understand coz' black birkin & chanel 2.55, so many ppl own them; 1stly, black is a classic and neutral color & 2ndly, 2.55 & birkin r 'cult' bags still swooned and admired by many women + men. that's about it.

we have similar colors like fuschia ostrich but mine is birkin whereas hers is a kelly & the other fren is in plume.

My 'best friend' ALWAYS critizes everything that I get, I am not exagerating she has never told me that something looks nice or that something is cool. I can deal with that, what pisses me off is when 2 months later she purchases the same item and then acts like she didn't remember that I already owned it. :cursing:

Some friend huh??

Lucky me!! :love:

It has never happened to me. My friends are all pretty conservative and they think I dress weird (they don't say that to my face, but it's obvious sometimes). So, no one has ever stolen or copied my style. Sometimes what does happen is that people start being more fashion conscious around me. There is a friend I've been going out with a lot. She dresses quite casually, but lately she's been asking me what she should be wearing and asking for my approval in her clothing choices. I've noticed that she wears a lot more skirts than she used to (she had told me that she doesn't like skirts that much). This sort of thing happens with the men I date too....

I don't really care what my friends wear around me. I'm not a snob about it. But I would probably feel very strange if a friend started copying me, and buying the clothes/shoes/bags that I want to buy....

I agree with this!!!:yes: But do any of you have friends that criticize your style and then copy it later on like you forgot?? I have a friend that does that...very annoying....

It's true though. I have this one friend who annoys me. A few times when I would get something, she wouldn't say anything about it. Then she would say there's this watch she really wants or necklace or whatever. And she goes to show me, and it's the same exact things I have. And I'll say, "Oh, that's just like my watch." And it's like she doesn't even acknowledge it. Strange, just strange!

Jenny Lauren - I know exactly how you feel. I think what your friend did was incredibly mean - I'd still not have been talking to her a month later! The worst thing about all this is the way it makes you feel - all bitter and twisted and that's not nice.
I keep trying to hang on to the thought that it's their insecurity not ours that makes them want to copy us and the implication is that by buying the same bags as us they are trying to imitate us.
Life is too short to hold a grudge - I do try to hang on to that thought, smile nicely and rise above it - but I admit sometimes I just want to let rip. I'm clearly not that nice a person.....!

I used to mind but not anymore because I realise that even if my friends don't buy the same bag as mine, there are thousands, millions or even trillions of people out there who bought the same bag as mine. So why bother. Each individual has their own rights to buy what they like / admire. That's why I totally agree with those who thought about being flattered. :smile: