How do you feel about taking chances on new designers?

1. Every now and then I fall in love with new handbag designers (though I am an LV girl at heart). But I have trouble 'taking a chance' on new designers, especially when their bags are $1K +. Like right now there is a bag I am eying, but it's really expensive IMO, and while I really want to buy it, something is holding me back. I usually don't have too much trouble spending the same amount of money on an LV because I know the company has a history and if it ever breaks, I can get it fixed. However, with a new company, there isn't really anyone to vouch for the quality of their products. So what do you do in the end? I guess if nobody took a chance on new designers, there really wouldn't be companies like LV, Gucci, Chanel, etc. today. So what should I do? What would you do? Stick to the brand you know and play it safe, or buy a bag from a company with no history?

2. As long as there is good feedback and I really love the bag, I take a chance on a new designer. I have never spent more than $500 on a new designer though, I would make sure that I really loved the bag and that it had some excellent reviews from fellow tpfers!

3. I agree, I do have some trouble taking that chance when the bag is costing more then my usual amount but then again that's how you find new love! I think it depends on the bag and price. It really depends...

4. I love "discovering" new designers and definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy something from an unknown...within a reasonable price (for me, that would be up to $600). You're right, there is no way I would pay over $1,000 for something that has no established reputation yet. I don't think any unproven brand can get away with charging prices like that. I've never even bought anything that expensive from a well-known name (maybe someday).

5. Yea, I love buying from new/small designers, but have never paid over $500 for any of their bags! The bag I'm looking at is $1610! Even though it's made out of an exotic, I can't quite stomach it!

6. I find it difficult to buy from a brand I am not familiar with. I always rely on some known characteristics of designers to judge if a bag is authentic.For example, Gucci has a signature inside fabric and I know the buckle of kathy van Zeeland. There are some other standards too. So apart from the fact that these new brands may have copied another brand which itself is some problem, how can I know if they are authentic.