How do you feel about black Kellys in Fjord?

1. Hi Everyone,
    I'm a long-time lurker, just started to post today because I need your sage advice - especially since it's because of everything I've learned from this forum that I'm having this dilemma! I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 32cm black retourne fjord with PH today. This will be my first, but hopefully not my last, Kelly and it will be the only one I will get in black. I imagined it more in togo, chevre, evergrain...not box, unfortunately (I'm a low-maintenance gal, it would never come out of the bag). Somehow the 28cm in evergrain sitting next to it seemed to strike a bigger chord, but it was reserved. I have not seen a chevre IRL, but the fjord just seemed a little...rough compared to the others. Any opinions?

I'm making a quick trip to Paris in May, so I can wait and see what's there, and also possibly see what's in the Brussels store (going over to the "Craziest, most desperate..." thread next!), but at the risk of losing out on this one. Does the Paris store usually carry a lot of the neutrals or will I see mostly color? Are black Kellys fairly readily available?

TIA!

2. There are actually a couple of Chevre Black Kellys (from reputable resllers and also members here) that are just gorgeous. I bet you would love those. It is durable, but more similar to evergrain than fjord, and certainly not as heavy as fjord. I think in Paris especially, you will not have too hard a time finding a black Kelly- but who knows what leather you will find.

Anyway, here are the links to those eBay auctions so you can at least see the different leathers side by side.

Chevre:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hermes-KELLY-32-Bag-Purse-Black-Chevre-Silver-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ230109697435QQcategoryZ45243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Evergrain:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/32-HERMES-KELLY-BAG-Black-Veau-Evergrain-w-Palladium_W0QQitemZ220096277336QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Box
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-HERMES-BLACK-BOX-KELLY-32cm-GOLD-HARDWARE_W0QQitemZ170095854674QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. I'm not a big fan of fjord for Kellys...Birkins and more casual bags it's ok..but I think Kellys should be more refined....

You seem pretty flexible on the leather and size. I would just let your SA know that you would prefer black in a different leather. H stores get black bags in fairly regularly, so I don't think you would wait too long.

If you do not like something about the bag and you have not reached the end of you patience...then wait a bit.

4. "Somehow the 28cm in evergrain sitting next to it seemed to strike a bigger chord......"

Debwonger, welcome!

I think you have answered your own question and it would be my answer to you:yes: to pass on the Fjord Kelly. Unless it makes your heart leap....pass it by.

You want to love love love:heart: your Hermes!

I feel a good point has been made about Fjord on a Birkin as opposed to the Kelly style. I can "see" Fjord on a Kelly 35, tho....at least in *my* mind. And, Fjord is a hardy, beautiful, pretty much water resistant skin.

5. I agree, wait for what really makes you happy. You will know it when you see it.

6. I love the black fjord retourne kelly with PH, but I think this particular leather is best in the 35 cm size. I passed on a 32 one last year too. For a naturally (as opposed to embossed) textured calf leather, I think the best for the 32 size is clemence and the best for the 28 size is togo. Evergrain is actually embossed leather, like epsom, so it has a uniformity that some people prefer in the kelly. But its a totally different concept that fjord. I dont think either of these is a mistake, I think you should go with your instinct. Hope this helps.

7. Thanks everyone! I'm going to follow my gut and wait. Especially seeing the pics in jag's links, and misschaslyn's beautiful new 32 sellier ...the hunt continues...

8. ^ great choice!! These bags are too expensive to settle for. :smile:

9. Wise decision DEB........always, always follow your first instinct and pay close attention to your heart. I think it looks like a 28cm Evergrain for you....

10. Good choice deb. While I would have jumped at 32cm Fjord for a daily workhorse bag for more casual use, it sounds like you're going for a more refined look with your first Kelly as you should. Evergrain is a beautiful choice!

11. Hi Debwonger!!! Again, You Want The Kelly That Is Best For You!!! I Bet Paris Will Have Some Beautiful Selections!!! Enjoy & Nothing Like A Black Kelly!!!!

12. I hope so! I'm fairly open to the type of leather/construction combinations because many of them will fit the bill in terms of "refined yet casual", but I think I'm still leaning towards a 32, the practical side of me wants to make sure I can use it for all occasions.

13. I have a 32 cm black togo Kelly, it's a great everyday bag. Like the other ladies say, you'll know the right one when you see it. Good luck with the hunt!

14. Sounds like you made the right decision. Good luck with your search. I also prefer kellys in 35 if it's fjord.