How Do You Economize?

Deborahsue

Feb 4, 2006
How do you save to pay for the lovely bags and shoes and jeans?

To "make-up" for my pleasures I (1)have my hair cut at SuperCuts. I wear it simply, all one layer, and don't do any color. I think you get the best hair cut if you can communicate exactly what you want and leave nothing to chance (2) have never had a manicure or a pedicure (3) never buy any processed foods -- try to make everything from scratch and lots of soups and salads.

How about you?

basically i use to live on ciggies but now, im just trying to justify everything i buy - do i really need that pair of shoes??? etc.... just budgeting is the way to go for me... :smile: i havent had a hair cut in months... i really should get cracking on to that... im starting to look like a hobo! :shame:

Yeah, I am really a cheapskate in ever other areas of my life. :P I shop at places like Aldi, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club for groceries, toiletries, and household products. I go to dollar stores too. I always buy the cheapest toilet paper. I never could understand people who buy the more expensive premium toilet paper. Seems stupid to spend a lot on something you wipe yourself with and then flush. :wacko: My bed sheets are Martha Stewart sheets I got from K-Mart. A lot my furniture was bought on clearance. I clip coupons. I don't got to the salon. If I need a trim, my mom does it (and I do the same for her). I give myself manicures.

The food issue was huge for us. We used to eat out 3 or 4 times a week. Agree on the no-processed-foods. Now I'm cooking much better meals and send hubby off with very healthy lunches every day. He always took blah sandwiches.

We use loyalty cards when dining out once a week or so, and restaurant.com has had sales for 50% off a local place we like: it was $5. for $25. worth of food. Then there's the entertainment book.

I ordered cheap ebay subscriptions for the nine zillion magazines I have to read- that right there is my major entertainment and a HUGE saving. Also use Barnes & Noble discount card. Target has 25% and 30% off new books. Great savings, small selection. We donate books to the library but I may try selling again on ebay to make room. I've paid too many late fees so don't borrow from library anymore.

Everything I buy online goes through ******.com and I got a decent size rebate check after all my Christmas shopping. I check fatwallet.com to see if there's any must haves on super sale.

My clothes come from places like Old Navy and Target, as I lose weight I won't invest in the better brands.

I sold bags on ebay to defray costs when I want a new bag but I've slacked off badly with that because I haven't wanted
to part with anything.:worried:
and ebay is just chock full of wackos:wacko: and a pain in the you-know!

The pets eat super premium holistic food :blink: which costs more but we hoped it would keep them healthier.

We both stopped smoking so I should be socking that $$ away we're not spending into the ING account.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being penny wise and pound foolish when I buy a pricey new bag, but that feeling soon passes :lol:

I don't really do anything out of the oridinary for bags/shoes etc. However, when I'm with friends trying to economize, food is always the area that has to suffer lol.

pursegalsf said:
I sell my other bags that I no longer use to get the ones I really want :shame:

Same here. I also sell other stuff that I don't use anymore. I bring my lunch and snacks to work, don't buy expensive coffee drinks, color my hair at home with those all-in-the-box kits, alternate between manicures and pedicures every two weeks instead of getting both at the same time, shop for clothes and shoes on sale, the list goes on! :nuts:

ArmCandyLuvr said:
Yeah, I am really a cheapskate in ever other areas of my life. :P I shop at places like Aldi, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club for groceries, toiletries, and household products. I go to dollar stores too. I always buy the cheapest toilet paper. I never could understand people who buy the more expensive premium toilet paper. Seems stupid to spend a lot on something you wipe yourself with and then flush. :wacko: My bed sheets are Martha Stewart sheets I got from K-Mart. A lot my furniture was bought on clearance. I clip coupons. I don't got to the salon. If I need a trim, my mom does it (and I do the same for her). I give myself manicures.

I HAVE to have my Cottonelle double rolls. Nothing else. :P

I also will shop at Target (rarely Walmart) for all of our toiletries. Costco is a big plus for us as well.

Anything that I buy online I buy at a discount of some sort.

Every little bit helps. :smile:

i consign my clothes and bags when i'm over them. i've also put myself on a budget. i bring my lunch to work, only get starbucks as a treat once in a while. carpool with my bf to work (share gas, tolls and parking).

The one major place I would say I save is clothes. I tend not to care how much my clothes cost, because unless it's something I wear for just being lazy in the house or for weekend errends, I don't like to be seen in the same things more than a few times. So, I'd rather get a 10-20 dollar shirt I'm only going to wear twice than a 50-100 dollar shirt I know I'm going to wear twice.