Food How do you cook salmon?

i love fish and but it scares me to cook it so i get it when i go out to restaurants. theres this one place that pan sears it so the edges are all crispy but the center is so moist...does anyone know how to get that done? and how do you know when its cooked?

I always grill it. I cut up a lot of garlic and parsley (or dill or fresh rosemary) and mix it with olive oil and a touch of sea salt. I also slice up a lemon.

For grilling, I brush it with olive oil and start it skinside down (on an already heated HOT grill). Then, I flip it and brush it again and cook. The key to cooking salmon (or any fish) is to get it to cook through, but not to overcook it. To check for doneness, get a thin bladed knife and pull up a section (if you recall it has sections already) and peer inside to see how it looks. If it is still slimy and translucent, it's not done (though many people eat their salmon rare like this). If it's flaky and solid/falling apart, it's overcooked. The center of the fillet needs to just be losing that shiny/glossy look in the interior. Never cut it, just peer between the naturally divided sections.

To serve, I put it on a plate and pour the garlic and olive oil with whatever fresh minced herbs over the top. Each person then squeezes their own lemon quarter over the salmon to their liking. Sometimes I'll put fresh ground pepper on it too.

I love teryaki baked salmon - so good! I never add butter or any type of oil to salmon since it already a very fatty fish - good fat (omega 3) but still.......

There is a salsa I love to eat with salmon. It's sort of a summer recipe, but I love it anytime. You marinate a salmon filet in orange or lime juice, while you mix oranges (cut off the peel and remove the pith), chopped red onion and cubed avocado toegther. Squeeze some lime juice over the salsa and put it aside. Then you either bake or grill the salmon with olive oil and pepper, put it on a plate and spoon some of the salsa on top. It's really yummy.

This is probably not the healthiest, but dh loves it when I make honey butter salmon. I garlic salt and cayenne pepper the fillets, sprinkle on some dried organic parsley then add a few thin pats of butter on the tops of the fillets. Drizzle some honey on top of the seasonings and butter and bake in a glass dish in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes (depends on your oven and how done you like your fish to be...we like it cooked through but at a medium doneness...well usually makes it dry and flaky). Put it on broil for the last minute (watching it super carefully as it can easily burn) or less just to caramelize the sauce on top. Let stand for five minutes before serving. We usually have this with white rice or rice pilaf and some steamed broccoli or organic baby carrots. Super yummy!
Another easy preparation is just to poach the salmon in a skillet with some water. You can finish it by draining the water and adding a little Thai Chili sauce (kinda sweet and spicy) to crisp up the outside toward the end. Or drain the water and then sizzle in some olive oil and serve with a caper aioli...or sizzle in some olive oil, shoyu, and ginger for a few minutes on medium high. The ginger becomes sweet and mellow when cooked and the shoyu adds the right balance of salt...
We eat according to the Blood Type Diet in our house (for health, not weight loss) and have a lot of salmon since its a highly beneficial food...HTH! :smile:

i love salmon grilled. i'd season the salmon with garlic salt and fresh cracked black pepper. grill it with olive oil. just before taking it off the grill, i would squeeze lemon over the salmon, and add italian parlsey. i would serve the salmon with lemon wedges, a mixed green salad with home-made dressing or baked asparagus (with fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, and fresh cracked peppers) and steamed rice. my bf loves this dish.

There is a salsa I love to eat with salmon. It's sort of a summer recipe, but I love it anytime. You marinate a salmon filet in orange or lime juice, while you mix oranges (cut off the peel and remove the pith), chopped red onion and cubed avocado toegther. Squeeze some lime juice over the salsa and put it aside. Then you either bake or grill the salmon with olive oil and pepper, put it on a plate and spoon some of the salsa on top. It's really yummy.

That sounds yummy!

i love fish and but it scares me to cook it so i get it when i go out to restaurants. theres this one place that pan sears it so the edges are all crispy but the center is so moist...does anyone know how to get that done? and how do you know when its cooked?

From my experience, the best way to do this is get some olive really hot in a stainless steel pan (one that can go in the oven too) and then sear each side of whatever you're cooking. I usually then finish in the oven so that it can mostly get cooked through, but it's off the top of the stove and you can move on to other things.

I make a similar salsa in summer for salmon. I use lime for wedges instead of lemon and I grill with just olive oil and garlic. For the salsa it's a cut up red pepper, cut up mango, cut up red onion and tossed with a bit of lime juice and cracked black pepper. You can take or leave cilantro out, but we love cilantro, so we use that. It was actually a Weight Watchers recipe I believe!

The best I have made so far is put a piece of salmon on a cedar plank and rub it with olive oil and top it with almond slivers and put it in the grill outside...yum. Plus you get the aroma of the cedar!!!

I make a similar salsa in summer for salmon. I use lime for wedges instead of lemon and I grill with just olive oil and garlic. For the salsa it's a cut up red pepper, cut up mango, cut up red onion and tossed with a bit of lime juice and cracked black pepper. You can take or leave cilantro out, but we love cilantro, so we use that. It was actually a Weight Watchers recipe I believe!

Oooh, thanks for the tip. I think I'll try it with mango!

I grill it with blackened redfish seasoning (Paul Prudhomme brand) on an electric grill with fresh zucchini/onions/mushrooms. To die for! We have it at least once a week. Grill it outside so no fish smell in the house. YUMMY!

If I have a salmon filet, I just rub the flesh side with olive oil and sprinkle with course sea salt- or kosher salt. Then I heat a cast iron skillet, wiped with olive oil to prevent sticking, and put the salmon in, first skin side down. I fry it there for about 8 minutes on medium-high heat until the salmon appears to have cooked about half way through. Then I flip it. The flesh side needs to get seared so that its a bit brown and crispy around the edges, but not too crunchy or dry. I like my salmon to be the slightest bit raw in the center. While its cooking on the flesh side (5 minutes tops), I peel back the cooked skin and feed that to my dog. Then I flip it again to crisp the other side a bit and plate it.

I often serve it with squeezed lemon juice, a bit more salt and some pepper. Sometimes I make a little sauce in the cuisenart to seve on the side (or on top) made of 1 large garlic clove, a handful of parsley leaves, juice of 1 lemon, dash of salt & pepper and sometimes even a tablespoon or two of some (secret ingredient) lea tobasco brand green pepper sauce (green, made with mild jalepenos, in a little glass bottle.)

It's always a hit!