Food How do you cook salmon?

mm16

Loves her Pug!
Sep 26, 2007
So, I have some fresh salmon in the fridge just waiting to be cooked for tonight...there is one problem!

I have no idea how to even start cooking it and for how long etc..what its supposed to look like when its done..yadda yadda..if anyone could help me......I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I've heard mixed things about cooking salmon in the oven w/ a lemon slice on top b/c it may dry it out? Any opinions on that?

Thanks..!:wlae:

I love salmon. I love it fried and a little crispy. Just seasoned it with garlic salt and black pepper.

For less calories, bake salmon in oven at 350 for 15 mins. Rub some olive oil on salmon and then season with salt/pepper and put slices of lemon on top.

I usually wrap it in tin foil with a bit of butter and salt and pepper, then put a bit of water in a pan in the oven and put the fish on top.

I also like slicing it into portion sized filèts and frying it in a pan with salt and pepper or a spice/herb mix meant for fish (it's just called "fish spice" or something)

My brother loves eating salmon with sour cream, and I love making a butter sauce for it (just take one part cream, boil until half the amount is vaporized, giving it a thicker texture, then add one part butter and let it melt (but not boil!) and then add dill and you're done. It's not very healthy, so I normally just eat my fish plain (while the fam likes melted butter on theirs) but it's very yummy :flowers:

I do the tin foil packet thing too and put a little olive oil,dill,pepper and lemon slices on top of the fish. I experiment too- one time I put a little honey, a bit of balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper and lemon together in the packet and it was good... although it sounds odd.

I bake 1 lb. of salmon on 400 for about 20 minutes. Before putting it in the oven, I brush it with olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning or Old Bay. We eat it usually two times a week.

I have a fish kettle so I just boil the salmon in it for a short while, keeps it lovely & moist. Mostly here we like it cold so I leave it in fridge then serve with salad & some mayonnaise.
My son prefers it fried so I cut off a few steaks & fry in olive oil then serve with some Hollandaise sauce.

I don't cook much and I'm not too talented in the kitchen. But I can cook salmon and have it come out pretty well. I just put it in a pan with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and cook it until it's cooked through but not overdone. Just check it with a fork and see if it sort of flakes apart easily. Then I like it with lemon squeezed on top.

I poach my salmon in a little white wine and water. I slice a couple carrots and celery and onions and put them on the bottom of the pan. Put the salmon on top of the vegetables. I also add peppercorns, and cloves or bay leaf, or dill. Add enough liquid (1/2 wine and 1/2 water) for about 1" in the pan and bring to a slow simmer. Cover and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Cooking time really depends on the thickness of your fish. You can check it by breaking the fish apart a little bit in the center. I usually just simmer for 5 minutes then keep tightly covered until everything else is ready. The fish just keeps cooking.

I've done salmon two ways. Bake it with olive oil brushed on, then squeeze lemon juice on, add salt & pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

The other way we often do it is to grill it skin side down and when it's almost done, add some Soy Vay Veri, Veri Teriyaki (or any teriyaki sauce will do).

I recently came across a recipe for Drunken Salmon. It sounds yummy, but I've not tried it yet. Here it is:

Whisk together 1/2 cup orange juice, 10 ounces of scotch, 4 T soy sauce, 5 T olive oil, pepper to taste, 2 garlic cloves crushed or minced. Put this in a baking dish and lay the salmon in the marinade skin side up. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Then grill or bake in the oven.

I LOVE salmon, usually I marinate (sp?) it in a mixture of cumin and ground/grated garlic, a bit of salt and then just dip it in egg and flour or just flour and then fry it.. so yummy