Workplace How do I phrase this in a non-passive aggressive way?

eff

O.G.
Jan 26, 2006
I'm sending an email to my manager regarding my current situation(just hit the two year mark with the company, been part-time this whole time, have tons and tons more responsibility than other part-timers). Until a few months ago, we were a small team and I kept being told that as soon as possible I'd be brought on as a full time employee. Right now I work ~50 hours/week with no benefits because I'm officially part time. In the last couple of months they've hired 5+ new people as part-timers, and it stings. I want to say, "Hey, you've hired almost 10 new people, what about my one full time position?" How can I say that without saying it in a totally *****y way? Because I'm feeling *****y about it.

I would send an email requesting a meeting to discuss this, I would avoid the back and forth that sending an email will lead to.
Have tried that before and it's not really possible, email is the best way to communicate with him due to how busy he is and the fact that I work remotely. Even if I do get to talk to him, how can I say what I want to say without sounding bitter?

Have tried that before and it's not really possible, email is the best way to communicate with him due to how busy he is and the fact that I work remotely. Even if I do get to talk to him, how can I say what I want to say without sounding bitter?[/QUO

Tell him that you are interested in becoming full time, then list your years of service, projects completed, current responsibilities, etc., then ask him what you need to do to become full time. You want him to have to either tell you "you need to do x,y,z" or "you are not slated to be full time, ever". If he tells you what you need to do to move to full time, ask for a timeline, like "if I have mastered these tasks, or completed these projects (whatever fits for your job) within what time frame will I be moved to full time"?

The last thing you want to do is call out what others are doing, getting to do, promotions that others are getting etc. That never, never works in your favor.

Tell him that you are interested in becoming full time, then list your years of service, projects completed, current responsibilities, etc., then ask him what you need to do to become full time. You want him to have to either tell you "you need to do x,y,z" or "you are not slated to be full time, ever". If he tells you what you need to do to move to full time, ask for a timeline, like "if I have mastered these tasks, or completed these projects (whatever fits for your job) within what time frame will I be moved to full time"?

The last thing you want to do is call out what others are doing, getting to do, promotions that others are getting etc. That never, never works in your favor.

That sounds good. On that last point, you're probably right. I just feel so terrible because they have been feeding my this line about "As soon as it opens up" for two years, and all of a sudden they hired almost 10 people, while I continue to get more responsibility piled on me and I have to constantly train people while also learning new things myself. It's been so high stress I just want to punch my laptop screen sometimes :sad:

That sounds good. On that last point, you're probably right. I just feel so terrible because they have been feeding my this line about "As soon as it opens up" for two years, and all of a sudden they hired almost 10 people, while I continue to get more responsibility piled on me and I have to constantly train people while also learning new things myself. It's been so high stress I just want to punch my laptop screen sometimes :sad:

I understand. The best way you can feel less terrible is to communicate what YOU have done that is great, not what others have done that is not great, KWIM?
And don't punch your poor laptop.

Write everything down, and make it into a presentation. List all of your accomplishments, and what you do for the company, including training, how many hours you work, and how your contributions help make the company money. Also include the fact that this boss stated (avoid the word promised) that you would be changed to full time at such and such a time, and that you feel that that time has come. If you are hourly, see if you can work the numbers to look good and show that you would be "cheaper" as a salaried employee with benefits. As long as you are going along with the status quo, they won't change anything. You might also go interview for another job or 2, and let it be quietly known you are doing so. If all that doesn't get your boss to act, it might be time for a real job hunt. Hope this helps.

I would sit down with your manager, and explain to them that you would like an update on your current status.
Do you know if they had intentions to bring you on as full time when you started? If they did, remind them of this and make sure they follow through.
If they didn't, ask them what the process is for becoming full time and tell them you are working full time hours. If you're working around 50 hours, you need to be full time. That's a liability on their part. I work in HR and really, when someone's "part time" and working that many hours, I personally think it's wrong.
While you're asking and getting the details, look for other prospects. It's really unethical to keep someone on their part time list, and not give them any benefits when they're working that many hours and when you've been there for 2 years.
I wouldn't worry about being *****y in your situation, have the confidence to be assertive while being professional. You have every right to worry about your employment status, and to make sure you get all the benefits you deserve.
That's just my two cents! Hope I helped.

Last edited:
I'm sending an email to my manager regarding my current situation(just hit the two year mark with the company, been part-time this whole time, have tons and tons more responsibility than other part-timers). Until a few months ago, we were a small team and I kept being told that as soon as possible I'd be brought on as a full time employee. Right now I work ~50 hours/week with no benefits because I'm officially part time. In the last couple of months they've hired 5+ new people as part-timers, and it stings. I want to say, "Hey, you've hired almost 10 new people, what about my one full time position?" How can I say that without saying it in a totally *****y way? Because I'm feeling *****y about it.

They are taking advantage of you so badly. I am half tempted to tell you to find a job on the sly and then leave them to figure out the extra 50+ hours they are going to need to do your job.

Whatever promises they made needs to be in writing. The big mistake I learned from was when the manager I worked for promised me a promotion within a couple of months when I joined their group. The problem was, she resigned before the two months' time. When I asked about my promotion, my supervisors (who report to the new manager) said I was crap out of luck because I didn't have it in writing. Lame lame lame but I've learned you need everything in writing. If you could at least hear a promise, then insist on getting that in writing, even in a follow up email per the conversation you have with them, with copies going to HR etc, especially with that person that was promising you the full time position initially. (sorry for the run-on sentences, i'm a little tired)

They are taking advantage of you so badly. I am half tempted to tell you to find a job on the sly and then leave them to figure out the extra 50+ hours they are going to need to do your job.

Whatever promises they made needs to be in writing. The big mistake I learned from was when the manager I worked for promised me a promotion within a couple of months when I joined their group. The problem was, she resigned before the two months' time. When I asked about my promotion, my supervisors (who report to the new manager) said I was crap out of luck because I didn't have it in writing. Lame lame lame but I've learned you need everything in writing. If you could at least hear a promise, then insist on getting that in writing, even in a follow up email per the conversation you have with them, with copies going to HR etc, especially with that person that was promising you the full time position initially. (sorry for the run-on sentences, i'm a little tired)

Thanks. Technically everything is "in writing" because it's mostly over email, but it doesn't feel like it'll make a difference. Anytime I talk to them, citing specific things they've said before, they just brush me off. Talked to my manager after posting this and he said "maybe the second half of the year" basically. I do as much work as the full-timers and am treated as one, except in terms of pay and benefits, which is b.s. And to top it off I recently found out they are giving the same line about going full time to the new part-timers they are hiring(good luck). I've already promised to myself I'm quitting at the end of the year even if I can't find something new. Honestly, if I'd found something, I would have quit months ago. This has been going on waaaay too long.

Sounds to me like they're hiring more Part Timers to maybe avoid having to pay them benefits? I would think if you have documented your time and are consistently working full time hours without the benefits, perhaps you should contact your local Board of Labor and ask them some questions about this.

The chances of you actually getting full time is slim to none whether you confront the boss or not. I don't think there's a special way that you could ask that will get you the results you want if they don't want to give it to you.

As a supervisor I can tell you that there are reasons why people don't get put full time. A) The company doesn't want to pay full time benefits to anyone, so they continue to hire part-time/PRN people.
B) The person that wants full time is not doing a good job as a part-timer.

I would seriously evaluate your job performance. Do you call in sick more than 1 or 2 a year? Do you do a thorough job? Do people have to come behind you to clean up your work? Does your boss point out mistakes you make and you feel they are "nit-picky"? Do you get along with the other employees?

If you ask yourself these questions and you feel that you are going over and above and doing an excellent job, then if I were you I'd start looking for another job. Honestly though, people come to me all the time wondering why they didn't get promoted/get full time/get a raise, and I most of the time it's because they are doing the bare minimum (or less) and expecting to be rewarded.

I'm not saying that this is the situation in your particular case, but IF it is then changing jobs is not going to change much for you.

The chances of you actually getting full time is slim to none whether you confront the boss or not. I don't think there's a special way that you could ask that will get you the results you want if they don't want to give it to you.

As a supervisor I can tell you that there are reasons why people don't get put full time. A) The company doesn't want to pay full time benefits to anyone, so they continue to hire part-time/PRN people.
B) The person that wants full time is not doing a good job as a part-timer.

I would seriously evaluate your job performance. Do you call in sick more than 1 or 2 a year? Do you do a thorough job? Do people have to come behind you to clean up your work? Does your boss point out mistakes you make and you feel they are "nit-picky"? Do you get along with the other employees?

If you ask yourself these questions and you feel that you are going over and above and doing an excellent job, then if I were you I'd start looking for another job. Honestly though, people come to me all the time wondering why they didn't get promoted/get full time/get a raise, and I most of the time it's because they are doing the bare minimum (or less) and expecting to be rewarded.

I'm not saying that this is the situation in your particular case, but IF it is then changing jobs is not going to change much for you.

I don't think my performance is an issue at all. They do "spot bonuses" at my job(small bonuses suggested by peers) and I've been recommended more than once because I'm one of those people who really, really goes the extra mile. I've been recognized by upper management as well. If I get a phone call at 4am on a weekend, I'm working. I think it's really just a situation where they are already getting what they need out of me in my current position and they don't think I'll realistically leave, so they're not going to give me more than what they're already giving me. It's just hard to face that reality when the job market is so crappy and the skills I've acquired are extremely job-specific. All the skills I've learned in college I'm rusty at, and what I've learned in this job won't help me find another job... so I'm basically screwed :sad:

I would say something along the lines of this. Others might not agree and would advise you not to rock the boat but I've always been a risk taker. I recently formed an email along these lines and got myself a 25% raise (but I was confident that I was an asset to this company and knew I had a leg to stand on.) I would suggest fighting for what you believe in. Two years is a long to be a part time employee. I would phrase the email in a nice enough way so if they decline, it won't be uncomfortable for you.

Dear so and so,

I apologize in advance for communicating via email rather than in person but I want to make sure I convey my request as clearly as possible. I am coming up on my two year mark here at ___________ and truthfully I couldn't be happier as far as job duties, fellow co-workers and over all position is concerned. I would however like to address my position status. I feel that I am an asset to this company for the following reasons... _________________________________________________... I would like for you to consider making me a full time employee. I will only add to the overall growth of this company as a dedicated, full time employee therefor I believe it will benefit your company as much as it would me. Please take my request into careful consideration.

Sincerely,

I don't think my performance is an issue at all. They do "spot bonuses" at my job(small bonuses suggested by peers) and I've been recommended more than once because I'm one of those people who really, really goes the extra mile. I've been recognized by upper management as well. If I get a phone call at 4am on a weekend, I'm working. I think it's really just a situation where they are already getting what they need out of me in my current position and they don't think I'll realistically leave, so they're not going to give me more than what they're already giving me. It's just hard to face that reality when the job market is so crappy and the skills I've acquired are extremely job-specific. All the skills I've learned in college I'm rusty at, and what I've learned in this job won't help me find another job... so I'm basically screwed :sad:

It could be that they just don't want to pay for the extra benefits included in a full time position. If they do things like match 401k contributions and pay a lot of your insurance premiums it can be pretty expensive for them. Are they putting other people full time over you? That would probably be the catalyst for me to leave, if they were promoting other people. Hiring part time workers is cheaper than adding a full time position sometimes.

I wouldn't be so sure that your skills are not transferable to other jobs though. All you really need is a way with words, and you can make just about any skill look applicable to any job. ;)