How do I not burn everything???

1. Every time I cook meat or eggs or anything else on the frying pan for that matter, I end up with smoke all throughout the kitchen. What am I doing wrong??? Is it the pans I'm using? Or greasing it improperly? Please help! :sos:
  2. How high is the heat on?
    What are your pans made of?
    What do you grease with?
    Is the meat thawed out properly?
  3. lol...oh my.!!! That made me laugh...sorry!! Maybe the heat is too high? (cooking too fast)
    One of the awesome cooks will chime in here any time with great advice Im sure.;)
  4. Lol, I know it's awful.

Well I try not to have the heat too high, usually I cook things around medium or a little bit higher than that.

I use nonstick pans, sprayed with either vegetable cooking oil or melted butter if I'm not concerned with calories for that day.
  5. I think part of the problem might be the grease on the pan, that's the thing that ends up burning after being there too long, so I guess I don't know what to do with that, especially if I have to cook two items, one after another on the same pan... maybe that's the problem? And yes, it is thawed out when I cook something.
  6. Is it a grease buildup on your pan bottom or stove top or burner? My stove is glass top and if not totally clean- little left over olive oil, whatever, it causes smoke- same thing if outer edges and pan bottom have any type of buildup.
  7. I thought so too. It sounds like your greasing/cooking food correctly, I can;t think of any other problems.
  8. Hmmph. I would have thought the heat or flame to be too high-- you can always start out medium and go lower depending on what you cook. And, maybe start out with little non-stick spray but then mainly cook with the fat that an egg or meat will give off.
    I tend to start on the stove top and then finish burgers, chicken, etc in the oven as they can usually be finished off there without getting too dark or seared on the outside. I guess it's trial and error!
  9. Hmm, no, it's not coming from the bottom of the pan, it is from the top. I don't know, it's just frustrating, lol! Thanks for your help, everyone! It may be the grease I used that is overcooking...?
  10. It could just be your stove... My old apt had a gas stove that would burn EVERYTHING even on the lowest setting. It was great for boiling water quickly, but it was literally impossible to cook something like oatmeal or rice. I'm so glad I have electric now! :yes:

Try cooking on a really low setting and see if it helps. My old stove had numbers on the knobs... If I wanted to cook something like a fried egg, I had to put it on "1"!!!
  11. If you are cooking two things - let's say two omelets - in the same pan, you are best off wiping it out between items. The longer you keep anything in the pan, the darker it's going to get.

All the different cooking fats have different smoke points. Butter will turn dark quite quickly after its bubbly stage. Olive oil will last a little longer, as will vegetable oil. Peanut oil is great for cooking with high heat as it has a high smoke point.

If you have an exhaust fan, use it.

There is an art to cooking, and all stoves and pans are not created equal. Be patient, you will get the hang of it.
  12. I was going to say the same thing as pidgeon about the smoke point. We've started using grapeseed oil a lot, since it's got a higher smoke point than olive oil, which we used to use, but doesn't have a heavy flavor that affects the food.
  13. heehee..I'm no help but I know what you're talking about (its happend to me a few times)..just wanted to say the title of this thread is funny:nuts:
  14. As others have posted, it's really dependent on the stove and cookware you use. I've had my same pots and pans for about 3 years but I had to relearn again when I got my new range with a newer style cooktop.

Try cutting back on the amount of grease, oil or cooking sprays and adjusting the heat a little lower.

15. Wow, thank you!!!!! That is very helpful! Thank you all, for your input! I am on the road to a smoke-free stove, I hope! :lol: