How did you handle Post-Partum Depression?

1. I just delivered my 3rd baby and seems like I'm going thru this again, same as when i had the first two. After my first child, I went to see a doctor about it for a few months (but, personally, I don't think it helped me that much). With my second, I just hung in there and tried to ride it out alone and pull myself together on my own (with lots of crying as my outlet). Now, I'm experiencing it once again and trying to handle it on my own, but it gets difficult with taking care of 2 toddlers and a newborn. I spoke to DH about it and he's been very caring and supportive, helping me as much as possible with the care-taking even though his job demands a 7-day-a-week work week. He suggested maybe I see a doctor again, but I'd rather not (I know it's better to get an outside/3rd party perspective on things, but seeing a doctor and talking it out didn't seem that effective to me).

Any thoughts or experiences you would share is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, ladies:heart:

2. Well, the doctor can make a big difference. Not all doctors are the same nor will they offer the same advice. I would seek one out. You are dealing with it, probably worse with each birth and you cannot ENJOY your baby if you are not in a good spot emotionally. There are safe medications you can take too even while breastfeeding, so give it a try. If that doctor isn't helping, find another. They should be able to help you.

3. had it mild on both my 1st and 2nd baby...
    I did not go to a doctor but I do agree with berryblondboys
    A good doctor that can relate with you will help alot.
    The reason I did not go to one was that my DH does not believe in them...
    but I know I could have recovered faster from it if I had.

In fairness to my DH... he was very supportive and held me when I cried...(alot)
    I had to really evaluate myself and find out where the depression was coming from to help myself...
    There could be no reason for the blues or there could be one or two...
    If you cant find the reason, then you do need a doctor and get some medication... makes things alot easier.
    As for me...
    it was I think more of my VANITY that was driving me nuts and deppressed...
    I cried everytime I looked at the mirror!:shame:
    So somehow I knew where to start helping myself...
    Friends and family support was also a big help.

4. I too am expecting my 3rd baby in in March and will also have to take care of two toddlers... age by that time 3 and 4.
    So I am already tryng to figure out how to get through it...
    I asked my Mom to stay with us when the baby comes
    Coz I know I will need all the help I can get...
    I do hope you can get help soon...
    I know how it feels...
    and I still believe that a doctor can make things easier...
    and if your DH is okay with it then take the help you need.

will be praying for you too...:flowers:

5. I'm still going through it right now with my 3rd baby. With my 1st I talked to my Dr. and went on medication for a while. With my 2nd I didn't have post-partum depression, but I had severe anxiety during my pregnancy. Now with my 3rd pregnancy when I was 4 months along, that was when my brother was killed, so I went to the Dr. and had them give me Zoloft just so I could cope with the stress and the pregnancy at the same time. Now that I've had my son I'm not taking anything, I'm not sure if it's mostly post-partumor the fact that I'm really just starting to deal with the loss of my brother. On top of that I'm really stuck at home because I have a 5 yr old and a 2yr old along with the new baby. It's almost impossible to get out, and I'm really having a very hard time. Kind of at a loss for what to do with myself. Anyway I would talk to your Dr. I hope you are feeling better soon.

6. I say go to the doctor and get on some medication.
    Depression is not to be taken lightly, and you shouldn't have to "ride it out" in this day and age.
    I will not hesitate if I end up with PPD.

7. I went through postpartum depression when I had my daughter 12 years ago, but back then, it wasn't talked about like it is now. I didn't really know what was happening or that there was a medical condition for it. I just know I was depressed, tired, emotional, etc...and only just over 100 pounds (at 5'7"!) I remember my jerk of an exhusband looking at me and saying something like, "look at you, you're so sad and skinny and you aren't taking care of yourself..." (with a disgust in his voice). Needless to say, I went through the toughest time of my life and still had to care for the most important thing in my life, my daughter. It was so hard. Nowadays, I realize there are many things that can be done to help out. There are many resources. Your doctor, your diet, talking your feelings out, sometimes medication is appropriate, etc. You definitely shouldn't take it lightly and just wait it out. It demands immediate attention. Best wishes to you and your family and big hugs!

8. I had PPD with 1st, and didn't seek help. I was miserable for over a year and a half. Most of it hormonal, some of it transitional. I sought help with 2nd and went on antidepressants. I bounced back after 6 months. I wasn't "perfect", but the medication really helped to stabilize the helpless moods, which enabled me to turn the other way to more positive mental health.

I probably wouldn't have had it as bad if it weren't for the fact that there was NO HELP with the children and I was depressed and exhausted all the time. My mom didn't really want to help, and dh didn't even want to consider hiring respite. Their feeling was, if I quit work to be a SAHM, then I should handle it all. Mmmm.... a 24/7 job is not an easy one. My neighbor has 2 little ones, and they have a nanny come during the week... I think it has worked for everyone's well being.

So, in a nutshell.... find some way of having some time off for yourself each weekend, if not every day to get out of the house to go to a gym and make friends or anywhere where your self esteem is boosted. It's easier said than done, I know. There was a period recently where I was out of the house for two hours 3x a week. I was so invigorated and back to my old self again, it really worked wonders.

9. BooYah - first of all congrats on your 3rd! Now onto the serious subject of depression which I, too, am quite familiar with as well.

I'm currently 2 mts. pregnant (unplanned) with my third and have a 6 yr. old DS and 3 yr. old DD. During my first two pregnancies I was relatively content and happy, but once I delivered, I fell into depression both times. Not just Post Partum Depression (PPD) but in hindsight, clinical depression, exacerbated by adult ADD which I never knew I had until just recently.

The first time I did not think it was more than just average "baby blues." Especially since I was also concerned about being laid off upon my return to work after my 5 mt maternity leave. And ultimately my division was RIF'd anyway when my DS turned 2. DH was very concerned and we decided that I should become a SAHM to alleviate stress and focus on family. It helped initially, but I eventually felt depressed again, plus felt lonely and alienated without being among co-workers or accomplishing work goals, which affected my marriage and I withdrew more and more from family and friends.

Never really got help for it, but I must say that I felt better as I became pregnant with my second and we were also looking to buy a new home (great distraction). Again, I felt good until I delivered DD, then I REALLY fell into a deeper depression complete with disorganization, negative thoughts, feeling worthless and low energy - the last of which is no good when you're a withdrawn sahm in a new neighborhood and caring for a rambunctious 3 yo and active newborn who dislikes naps and then there's the feeling of incompetence when nothing gets accomplished.

After breastfeeding my second baby for one full year, I saw a commercial for adult ADD and asked my physician for a Strattera prescription. It helped me get things done somewhat, but when I visited my OB/GYN 6 mts. later for follow up she convinced me that my symptoms may just be PPD, which can last up to two years.

Got off the Strattera and that's when I really sunk to new/scary emotional depths. So last July (ds 5, dd 2) I finally decided to seek counseling... and that's when the mystery was solved for me. Over the course of 1.5 years of Cognitive Behavioral talk therapy (aka, CBT) my therapist uncovered a number of unresolved/traumatic childhood issues, then I was diagnosed with dysthymia (chronic depression), got on Cymbalta which worked wonders, but then experienced inattentiveness and impulsivity, and I was officially diagnosed with Adult ADD, resumed Strattera and have never felt better about myself in my entire life!

I am sorry for the long-winded diatribe, but I guess my point is that you should also consider seeking counseling and regular talk therapy to help you get thru depression - you should never have to feel that it's "just normal baby blues" and try to tough it out. Who knows what you might learn about yourself, I say. And lastly, I have to add that PPD/Depression also affects everyone else around you, including DH and unfortunately any other children you may already have, which was the impetus for me to finally try out an anti-depressant for the first time in my life. Again... sorry for the ramble! Hope you find some relief soon!

10. BooYah - first of all congrats on your 3rd! Now onto the serious subject of depression which I, too, am quite familiar with as well.

I'm currently 2 mts. pregnant (unplanned) with my third and have a 6 yr. old DS and 3 yr. old DD. During my first two pregnancies I was relatively content and happy, but once I delivered, I fell into depression both times.

The first time I did not think it was more than just average "baby blues." Especially since I was also concerned about being laid off upon my return to work after my 5 mt maternity leave. And it ultimately did happen anyway when my DS turned 2. Decided I'd become a sahm to alleviate stress and focus on family... but I was still depressed, which affected my marriage and I withdrew from family and friends.

Never really got help for it, but I must say that I felt better as I became pregnant with my second and we were also looking to buy a new home (great distraction). Again, I felt good until I delivered DD, then I REALLY fell into a deeper depression complete with disorganization, negative thoughts, feeling worthless and low energy - the last of which is no good when you're a withdrawn sahm in a new neighborhood and caring for a rambunctious 3 yo and active newborn who dislikes naps and feeling incompetent when nothing gets accomplished.

After breastfeeding my second baby for one full year, I saw a commercial for adult ADD and asked my physician for a Strattera prescription. It helped me get things done somewhat, but when I visited my OB/GYN 6 mts. later for follow up she convinced me that my symptoms may just be PPD, which can last up to two years.

Got off the Strattera and that's when I really sunk to new/scary emotional depths. So last July (ds 5, dd 2) I finally decided to seek counseling... and that's when the mystery was solved for me. Over the course of 1.5 years of Cognitive Behavioral talk therapy (aka, CBT) my therapist uncovered a number of unresolved/traumatic childhood issues, then I was diagnosed with dysthymia (chronic depression), got on Cymbalta which worked wonders, but then experienced inattentiveness and impulsivity, and I was officially diagnosed with Adult ADD, resumed Strattera and have never felt better about myself in my entire life!

I am sorry for the long-winded diatribe, but I guess my point is that you should also consider seeking counseling and regular talk therapy to help you get thru depression - you should never have to feel that it's "just normal baby blues" and try to tough it out. Who knows what you might learn about yourself, I say. And lastly, I have to add that PPD/Depression also affects everyone else around you, including DH and unfortunately any other children you may already have, which was the impetus for me to finally try out an anti-depressant for the first time in my life. Again... sorry for the ramble! Hope you find some relief soon!

11. Acupuncture can help a great deal with depression. I find antidepressants too invasive and have too many side effects.

It wasn't PPD with me but my depression was very serious at one point and acupuncture helped me come back, slowly but surely.

12. Ladies, thank you so much for all of your input-you gave me many wonderful options other than my trying to let its course run this time around.

bbb, Sarsi-yes, it's very true how good of a doctor he/she is can make a huge difference. i was very discouraged in seeking medical attention with the second child b/c with the first, the doctor did not appear to be as understanding as i had originally thought (at one time, she yelled at me over the phone for cancelling an appointment-and did it waaay in advance too. she didn't see my reason as valid in her eyes and that was the last i'd ever speak with her). perhaps i should do some more research on doctors who could understand me and be able to meet my needs. thank you, girls:heart: and congrats, Sarsi, on expecting your 3rd bundle of joy:smile:

ari, i'm so sorry about your loss. it's very difficult to be dealing with such a horribly saddening situation while you're expecting. my heart goes out to you for being strong for the kids and family, i personally know i would've not been able to keep it together as well as you. i'm sorry and wish the best for you and your family.

13. Shyloo, thanks so much for your advice. the doctor i was seeing after my first delivery prescribed Zoloft which i had taken then stopped after a few weeks as i started experiencing some side effects, including some exhaustion. perhaps there is another medication out there which is better for me. thank you :heart:

14. olms, i'm so sorry you had to go thru that type of verbal abuse with your ex, especially when you just had a baby. that the last thing a woman needs after she's just delivered a baby-verbal, mental and emotional abuse from someone who supposed to be a spouse. lots of times, i think it's the man who should be delivering the babies to let them see how it affects them physically and emotionally:cursing:maybe they'd understand more better what we women go through.
    thank you for the wonderful advice and best wishes to you and your family too:heart:

15. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Most definitely go to your Doctor. I'm sure they can help!! I didn't really have Post-Partum, but a few days after giving birth, I did get what they call "the Baby Blues" and it was horrible. So I can't even imagine how awful PPD is. I guess it's common for women to develop the baby blues about 4 or 5 days after delievering and mine came right on schedule. I'd just start crying uncontrollably out of the blue for no reason. I couldn't understand why I was feeling this way…I should have been happy all the time. What did I have to cry about?? It just sucked. My husband was really supportive and caring. He was so helpful and when I didn't want to talk, he'd just hug me until I stopped crying. He was concerned because he hated seeing me so sad, but he was really wonderful. It went away about 4 or 5 days later, but I can tell you it was worse than labor.